Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
6 Likes  
the Diversification of Yellowstone
Posted By: Bob Harris, 02-20-2014, 03:11 PM

When people think of Yellowstone the first thing that comes to mind is Old Faithful, but this park is more than just one geyser. Beautiful mountains, rivers, valleys, waterfalls and lots of wildlife are just another part of this diversified park which is close to 3.5 million sq. miles in size. Yellowstone Lake is one of the largest high altitude lakes in the USA and park sits on the Yellowstone caldera, the largest super-volcano on the continent.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio A40  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio A40  Photo 

Views: 2,014
02-21-2014, 01:21 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nicely taken Bob. You've captured the diversity of the Park very well. Because I usually avoid the crowded summer season I tend to go in late fall to early spring. Consequently I spend most of my time in the northern part of the Park. I'm planning to go again at the end of March or beginning of April. I like the constantly changing weather and light this time of year.

02-21-2014, 07:42 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
I will see what I can do Bob. I also have one around here somewhere but sometimes it is just easier to go out and get another photo.
Ray has been living in front of the computer trying to get all the reservations set up. The window varies from one year ahead to just four months ahead.
sort of funny Susan, but I think Terri enjoys setting up the trip as much as she does the travel. I don't know if we will ever stay put, it would take away her fun.

---------- Post added 02-21-14 at 06:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Excellent work! The first one is stunning.

I've wanted to go to Yellowstone for a long time - not primarily for the geysers (although I think "geysir" would be more correct - pity the English language doesn't agree ). Your pictures really reinforce my wish to go!
We have visited 4 times and I have never been bored revisiting. The park is huge and so much to see so allow plenty of time to visit when you do.

---------- Post added 02-21-14 at 06:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Great pics, bud. You're right about Yellowstone - I can think of no where I've been that has a more diverse - and contrasting - array of attractions (for lack of a better word).

Jer
It is a wonderful area Jer, Terri said once she would love to live in Livingston WY until we were there and it started to get cold and we had a surprise snow. Changed her attitude and we had to head South, so much for the experiment and it was only October.

---------- Post added 02-21-14 at 06:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I dear, perhaps I shouldn't admit to it as it will damage my youthful persona, but not only do I remember them but actually owning them as well.
those were wonderful, we had a couple of them at our house.

---------- Post added 02-21-14 at 06:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Nicely taken Bob. You've captured the diversity of the Park very well. Because I usually avoid the crowded summer season I tend to go in late fall to early spring. Consequently I spend most of my time in the northern part of the Park. I'm planning to go again at the end of March or beginning of April. I like the constantly changing weather and light this time of year.
You're right about the crowds, and when we visited early in Spring there was a lot more wildlife to view. We really enjoyed Glacier NP n/o you and what beautiful mountains Montana has.
02-22-2014, 01:59 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wonderful series showing parrts of this park I have never seen before, whetting my appetite to visit this natural wonderland.
02-22-2014, 02:16 AM   #19
Pentaxian

looking at these pictures every sensitive person should feel cravings for wildlife.
Thanks, Bob.

02-22-2014, 01:22 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Wonderful series showing parrts of this park I have never seen before, whetting my appetite to visit this natural wonderland.
so much to do on your visit, if you can allow a week and visit the Grand Tetons while there. thanks for viewing.

---------- Post added 02-22-14 at 12:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by zztopd Quote
looking at these pictures every sensitive person should feel cravings for wildlife.
Thanks, Bob.
Yes you would enjoy a trip here ZZ, come visit us one day.
02-23-2014, 11:02 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I always enjoy tagging along on your adventures, Bob, and this one is no exception! Super!
02-23-2014, 07:32 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
I always enjoy tagging along on your adventures, Bob, and this one is no exception! Super!
thank you Julie, glad you enjoy traveling with us, now if I could just get someone to help out with the fuel costs.

02-24-2014, 05:22 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great shots, Bob. My son, grandson and I camped (in a tent, not RV like you and Slowpez) in Yellowstone & Grand Tetons for 8 days back in August and I just loved both parks. Bad thing about August is being around a gazillion tourists. Judging by your photos, we were standing in some the same general areas. Took a boatload of pics.
02-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Great shots, Bob. My son, grandson and I camped (in a tent, not RV like you and Slowpez) in Yellowstone & Grand Tetons for 8 days back in August and I just loved both parks. Bad thing about August is being around a gazillion tourists. Judging by your photos, we were standing in some the same general areas. Took a boatload of pics.
You're right about the tourist thing Tom, actually later September is the best time to go for us, not as crowded, the weather is cooling and it seems like there is more wildlife around. The Lamar Valley is so beautiful in the spring though the grasslands are almost a lime green in color. You really got down to the real part of camping with the tent and I bet your grandson will remember the trip the rest of his life. Thanks for looking, take care.