Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Freeskiing medal winners
Lens: Sigma 70-300 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Killington, VT ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: reeftool, 02-20-2014, 05:30 PM

These photos go back two winters now but I want to post them to honor two ladies form the USA who won medals in the Sochi Olympics. One of my daughters is a pro skier and competes in the ski pipe event. They are a close community as there are very few ladies who do this. My daughter is still recovering from knee surgery and was completely out of the competition this year but has been cheering for her friends. I relied on her to identify the skiers.

Maddie Bowman took the gold today. She also took top honors in the 2012 Dew Tour in Killington, VT.

Devon Logan won silver medal in Slopestyle earlier in the Olympics. Here's Devon in the halfpipe at the 2012 Dew Tour.

Views: 614
02-20-2014, 06:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow, nice action shots! That 2nd one is really neat!
02-21-2014, 10:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks. Not too many competitions hit the East unfortunately so it's usually a long break between chances to photograph world class skiers. There is a general lack of interest except in Olympic years. The Dew Tour ended because nobody went besides family and friends. A handful of skiers would stop by and watch for a few minutes and then leave and continue skiing.
02-21-2014, 11:49 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Awesome images of a pretty awesome sport, irrespective of gender of the competitors, fantastic to watch.

02-21-2014, 01:28 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great action shots especially the second one. Hope your daughter recovers from knee surgery soon. Those gals sure are tough.
02-21-2014, 09:41 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Great action shots especially the second one. Hope your daughter recovers from knee surgery soon. Those gals sure are tough.
She's doing fine. Surgery was in August. She's skiing but not quite ready to compete yet. They are tough. This was her third knee reconstruction. My wife usually doesn't like to watch the competition, she covers her eyes. Of course, I'm always there with the camera. The first shot isn't one of my best but it's the best shot I have of Maddie Bowman. It's difficult to follow the skier through the pipe and keep the camera steady. It was very cold that day, right around 0F. I wanted to shoot the snowboards but I was beginning to loose feeling in my feet and fingers. The wind got so strong, they had to postpone the afternoon events.
This is my daughter, Charity Mersereau on one of her pipe runs that same day.

My photos from the entire event are here, including the tribute the girls did for Sarah Burke. Sarah died the day before this event took place.https://plus.google.com/photos/118005862460319379444/albums/5742811106331716577
02-22-2014, 06:43 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
She's doing fine. Surgery was in August. She's skiing but not quite ready to compete yet. They are tough. This was her third knee reconstruction. My wife usually doesn't like to watch the competition, she covers her eyes. Of course, I'm always there with the camera. The first shot isn't one of my best but it's the best shot I have of Maddie Bowman. It's difficult to follow the skier through the pipe and keep the camera steady. It was very cold that day, right around 0F. I wanted to shoot the snowboards but I was beginning to loose feeling in my feet and fingers. The wind got so strong, they had to postpone the afternoon events.
This is my daughter, Charity Mersereau on one of her pipe runs that same day.

My photos from the entire event are here, including the tribute the girls did for Sarah Burke. Sarah died the day before this event took place.https://plus.google.com/photos/118005862460319379444/albums/5742811106331716577
Awesome series of shots on your link. I have never seen the pipe except on TV and it really looks intimidating. Glad to hear your daughter is doing well.