Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Little Snow Birds
Lens: Tokina 400 ATX Camera: K20D Photo Location: East Tennessee 
Posted By: mole, 02-20-2014, 07:46 PM

Our Winter Resident birds seem unfazed by all the recent snows. Here's a female Eastern Bluebird, keeping a close eye on her stock of Privet Berry snacks.

And here are two male Eastern Bluebirds, one on a Tulip Poplar branch, the other in the midst of some snow-capped Sycamore tree seed pods.

Perhaps the bluebirds should have been watching this bird. It's a Nuthatch, checking out a Bluebird nesting box!

Yellow-Rumped Warblers are our most common winter warbler here in East Tennessee. Here are a few wintry poses...

And one pose of a Phoebe on his rather snowy perch.

Mockingbirds keep close to their berry thickets these days.

And are very aggressive in defending their winter food!

Hope you enjoyed these little glimpses of some common winter birds. Thanks so much for any comments & critique!

Views: 2,770
02-20-2014, 08:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Excellent, The female eastern bluebird and the first yellow-rumped are exceptional in my opinion, well composed, nice and crisp!
02-20-2014, 08:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All are great Ranger, smart birds to stay close to their food source, it amazes me such small creatures can survive in such cold conditions. The mockingbird in fight is amazing.
02-20-2014, 08:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shots I like the nuthatch

02-20-2014, 09:25 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Love the second photo - the bird looks like it's happy and singing! Do you suppose the duck and Heron(?) have cold feet?
02-20-2014, 10:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
These are all beautiful sharp shots. I think I'll have to settle with the second and second last for my favourites - but they're all amazing!
02-21-2014, 07:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Great sets as always but for me the "mockingbird fight" is the best of 'em all (though you do get extra points in my book for getting "glass" on that phoebe!)

Otherwise, very happy to see somebody out and about in the landscape--this winter has been tough on both my mental health and my waistline. (I accused my wife last week of shrinking my Patagucci windshirt somehow...I'm not sure how that's possible, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

02-21-2014, 07:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Excellent photos. Great variety, too.

Tony
02-21-2014, 07:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I was wondering when you would post your next series from the mountains. Looks like the birds are doing well. Love the shot of the mockingbird defending its food. My husband gets like that too. This series would make a wonderful series of Christmas cards (if only people still sent them.)
02-21-2014, 05:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tom - Thanks for the kind and helpful comments!

Bob - They are indeed amazing bundles of energy, as well as tough survivors!

Patrick - He's one of my favorites too! Also one of the hardest (for me) to get close to...

Joip - Our Bluebirds are indeed beginning to sing their spring songs these past few days! If I were the Duck or the GB Heron, my feet would sure be frozen. Good thing that birds' circulation helps prevent frozen feet!

Ausmoose - Thanks for your kind words!

CreationBear - Glad you enjoyed the "MockFight" - you should see how many photos I threw away to get one or two good ones. Sorry to hear about your winter difficulties - but we sure had a great springlike week this week!

Tony - Thanks so much!

Susan - Sorry to not have posted in a while - very busy with a variety of park projects, also visiting our newest Granddaughter down in Chattanooga:

02-21-2014, 07:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Sweet photo, and congratulations. I'll be there later in the year. First grandchild for us. Don't know if it's a boy or girl yet.

Tony
02-23-2014, 06:52 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tony - Congratulations on your soon-to-be first. This is our 4th, but the other three live much too far away
02-24-2014, 09:12 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, as always, for sharing the beauty in your neck of the woods! I am always amazed at the way the small wildlife -- in this case the birds -- copes with winter. I would never ever have expected to see a heron in the snow!
02-24-2014, 09:57 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mole Quote
Tony - Congratulations on your soon-to-be first. This is our 4th, but the other three live much too far away
Thanks. Being a grandparent is going to take some alteration of my thinking. Still trying to wrap my head around it.

Tony
02-25-2014, 07:52 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mole Quote
I'll add my congratulations too. The biggest difference Tony is there's less money since Grandma thinks the grand Kids(#6 will join us in May/June) loves to spend on the grand kids