Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
7 Likes  #1
Thin Snow at Bald Mountain
Lens: FA 28, DA 15, DA 100 macro, etc Camera: K20D Photo Location: East Tennessee 
Posted By: mole, 02-20-2014, 07:50 PM

Plenty of cool snowy weather in the East Tennessee hills lately - which means plenty of water in the streams! Had two recent "light snow" visits to the same corner of Bald Mountain Scenic Area recently.

Several great trails begin at the same trailhead in this portion of Cherokee National Forest. Actually, the first bit of trail is on private land, but the landowner has very generously permitted the Forest Service to build a trail across his land, so folks can gain access to the public trails beyond. One of those public trails is called Phillips Hollow. If you don't mind plenty of unbridged creek crossings, it's a lovely lower elevation trail through some lush woodlands.

The creek was well-decorated with icicles.

And this little waterfall was full and full-voiced too!

Back at the trail junction to follow another trail up the main branch of Dry Creek. Definitely a misleading name - I've never seen it even close to dry!

Dry Creek is rich with riffles and small rapids.

Here are several views of one of the many small waterfalls along Dry Creek. (any preferences among these perspectives?)

This trail dead-ends at the highest waterfall in Bald Mountain - Margarette Falls. Have already posted far too many photos of this waterfall, hope you can tolerate a few more.

Was trying for a few different angles and views of the falls - any opinions on these?

Will end with a bit more ice along dry creek. Sure do hope you enjoyed both trails, and that you'll share your comments & critique!

Views: 1,244
02-20-2014, 08:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I can't pick a favorite, they are all exceptional!
02-20-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really like how you incorporated the ice cycles with the slow SS of the creeks and falls. All great angles IMO.
02-20-2014, 08:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For me it's 2 and 12 that are the best. I like the contrast between green and white and white-water forming a leading line for the 2 and 12, respectively.

02-20-2014, 09:22 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In your first photo I like the way you see the ice in front of the top of the falls and immediately behind you see the water which follows the same lines as the ice. Also like the second to last photo - all the angles, almost has a dizzying effect, like you are standing right there. Truly I like them all. Glad someone is appreciating the polar vortex It's been a dry winter so far in Denver!
02-20-2014, 10:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Wow, they're all so amazing. In the photos you wanted opinions on, I liked the first of them better. But all really great shots, wonderful work!!
02-21-2014, 07:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The ice crystals on the ferns is really special. Heck, the whole series is special. As for favorites among the falls shots, I favor number 9 and the third one from the end. Can't complain about any of them however.

02-21-2014, 08:54 AM   #8
Forum Member

Impressive, I gota go there some day. Are these shots camera originals or have you done any post processing with LR or PS?
02-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Like the clean simple lines and muted colours of these waterfall images, all are super sharp too, well done.
02-21-2014, 05:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tom - You are too kind!

Bob - Thanks! Have had plenty of opportunities to practice icy shots this winter These are the closest to what I've been trying for so far...

rrstuff - Thanks for the kind, specific and helpful comments!

joip - So glad you enjoyed these! Your two favorites were my favorites too. Did a lot of "playing around" with different angles to get the desired perspectives...

Ausmoose - Thanks for the feedback!

Susan - Thanks - very helpful!

Coboren - Hike to the falls is an easy one! Only about 3.5 miles roundtrip on a nicely graded trail. Only one unbridged creek crossing, and it's an easy rock-hop. Here's a link to a good description:
Margarette Falls - TEHCC Wiki
Let me know if you need more information.
To answer your question - I'd rather spend more time out on the trail, and less indoors at the computer. So I try for the least PP necessary. But it did take some PP to get the raw images into their current form - some exposure blending (K20D does not have great dynamic range) and a bit of work with curves..

Kerrowdown - Thanks so much! Come springtime, this area will be anything but muted - it's an amazing array of green shades...
02-21-2014, 07:13 PM   #11

Very nice! Makes me want to go there.
02-21-2014, 07:25 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stunning series, they are all absolutely beautiful.
02-21-2014, 07:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

No favorites, I like them all. If I could get *one* shot like that on tomorrow's hike I would be ecstatic.

Tony
02-23-2014, 06:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Monoloco - Thanks! Hope you do get to visit sometime soon!

J2Photos - So glad you enjoyed these.

Tony - Thanks so much. Will be looking forward to seeing your hike photos.
(PS - I had a nice hike up Roan Mt yesterday, but have not yet had time to look over the photos - will post them sometime next week...)
02-23-2014, 11:40 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Some fabulous shots here! I liked your first shot best at Dry Creek (by a lot), and the second (also by far) of Margaret Falls. That one has a world beating foreground that really makes the picture pop!