Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Light Rail Station - Tempe AZ
Lens: Sigma 8-16 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Light Rail Station - Tempe AZ ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/20s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: interested_observer, 02-22-2014, 12:05 PM

I had actually gotten up early, but lingered in the kitchen a bit too long, so by the time I got out of the house to shoot some pictures, it was later than what I had intended. So, I missed the shots that I really wanted and ended up with this...

Attached Images

Views: 1,066
02-22-2014, 12:09 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
missed the shots that I really wanted and ended up with this...
Well this still looks pretty cool image to me.
02-22-2014, 12:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would say you caught it just right with the rising sun, great shot.
02-22-2014, 02:46 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Nice composition - one is really drawn to the sun. It also makes the picture "sing" that the sun light and light from the lamps at the station match in color!

02-22-2014, 02:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is that one of the downtown stations near ASU?

Sadly, they finished the light rail after I moved away from Tempe (spent my childhood there), but it's been great every time I've visited friends that are still down there...

Nice shot by the way!
02-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's awesome - did you use HDR? Really nice colours.
02-22-2014, 04:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Has a subtle HDR feel to it. I like it a lot.

02-22-2014, 04:30 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Well this still looks pretty cool image to me.
Thanks! Not disappointed in the least, but I saw the sun start to peek up and then quickly moved locations to take advantage.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I would say you caught it just right with the rising sun, great shot.
I actually thought that the sun would be a bit farther to the right (or south) according to the charts. I actually saw the shadows on the pavement and moved locations.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Nice composition - one is really drawn to the sun. It also makes the picture "sing" that the sun light and light from the lamps at the station match in color!
Thanks! This particular shot was not the one that I was thinking of, but it came as a target of opportunity. I wound up trying about 20 locations around the station, various ideas. Some worked, others washed out and still there were some with promise that just were not as well executed as I had intended. I wanted to try a pano - but rather than from a central location, just move linearly parallel to the scene. It sort of worked, but not to the extent I had originally thought.

The original thought was to get there while it was a bit darker, so that the lights of the station coupled with the blue hour in the sky. That along with perhaps a moving train to get a bit of light streaks. - there is always another morning....

QuoteOriginally posted by fretlessdavis Quote
Is that one of the downtown stations near ASU?

Sadly, they finished the light rail after I moved away from Tempe (spent my childhood there), but it's been great every time I've visited friends that are still down there...

Nice shot by the way!
Yes, its the main Tempe station at 3rd and Mill. I had intended to get there earlier when I could grab the early morning blue "hour" (actually twilight was 25 minutes) and it was still dark enough to get the lighting around the station and the adjacent buildings. But I bummed around the house too long this morning and missed the time slot.

QuoteOriginally posted by ausmoose Quote
That's awesome - did you use HDR? Really nice colours.
Yes, its a 5 frame +/-2ev bracket. The Sigma 8-16 has a lot of contrastiness along with great colors. I actually had to zoom in some in order to frame the shot within the confines of the station. The lens is really wide. There is a bit of a flare over on the right, but I think that it just adds to the image a bit.
02-22-2014, 04:59 PM   #9

Very nice, I like this photo a lot. Well done!
07-28-2018, 01:02 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I had actually gotten up early, but lingered in the kitchen a bit too long, so by the time I got out of the house to shoot some pictures, it was later than what I had intended. So, I missed the shots that I really wanted and ended up with this...

Really nice!