Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Griffith Observatory
Lens: 17-10, 150-500 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Los Angeles 
Posted By: SpecialK, 02-23-2014, 10:07 AM

Griffith Observatory on a hazy day.

To get to that viewpoint, you take the fire-road trail from the parking lot. (All these wider shots are the 17-70, not "17-10").

This is the easy way, and it is about a 20 minute walk.

Or you can try going cross-country. That's Mt. Hollywood in the background, and it's about an hour walk.

The famous sign is on the next hill over, Mt. Lee.

On the way back. The parking lot is free but limited (200 spots), so street parking is likely.

Six famous astronomers circle this monument. Hipparchus (about 150 B.C.), Nicholas Copernicus (1473-1543), Galileo Galilei (1564-1642), Johannes Kepler (1571-1630), Isaac Newton (1642-1727), William Herschel (1738-1822)

Statue of actor James Dean draws a crowd. He famously died in a car crash at age 24 after making only 3 movies - and one safe-driving PSA.

Not surprisingly, there are several telescopes here.

The roof view. The other direction was just Los Angeles lost in haze.

Copper door.

Stairs.

Foucault pendulum knocks down pegs.

Some exhibits...

Earth tilt.

Periodic table of elements.

Gallery.

Remote sensing.

Markers and direction-lines for various lunar and solar events.

Saturn cell-man.

I usually get one of these when I'm here. This was shot at 1/15 @ f22 by accident :-)

The astronomer's monument, with kids.

Famous astronomers.

Solar-powered sundial.

Bus people.

Last edited by SpecialK; 02-23-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Views: 2,144
02-23-2014, 10:43 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Griffith Observatory on a hazy day
Like the first image, being that close to the city, I wouldn't thought that was a great site for an observatory with light pollution and smog etc.
02-23-2014, 11:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it's great that the natural sciences are transmitted to future generations.
Great.
02-23-2014, 02:17 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

TFS. Now I understand how the observatory can be threatened by LA wildfires. I had no idea it was that close-in to the city!

02-23-2014, 03:55 PM   #5

I like the first shot as well. I've been to LA many times, but never did make it up to the observatory.

Kerrowdown, sadly with the way LA is now it's not a great spot, but just think of how nice it must have been back when it was built in the 1930's!
02-23-2014, 04:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

really enjoyed the series Kyle, we haven't visited since the makeover. You got some great views there. Parts of Rebel Without a Cause were filmed there with Dean.
02-24-2014, 07:38 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Like the first image, being that close to the city, I wouldn't thought that was a great site for an observatory with light pollution and smog etc.
QuoteOriginally posted by zztopd Quote
it's great that the natural sciences are transmitted to future generations.
Great.
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
TFS. Now I understand how the observatory can be threatened by LA wildfires. I had no idea it was that close-in to the city!
QuoteOriginally posted by jcbritton Quote
I like the first shot as well. I've been to LA many times, but never did make it up to the observatory.

Kerrowdown, sadly with the way LA is now it's not a great spot, but just think of how nice it must have been back when it was built in the 1930's!
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
really enjoyed the series Kyle, we haven't visited since the makeover. You got some great views there. Parts of Rebel Without a Cause were filmed there with Dean.
Thanks for the comments.

Here are a few from a previous visit.

02-24-2014, 08:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The 'remote sensing' and pendulum shots are my favorite. the night scapes are classic. It's a great location to shoot, although going down in the dark can be a challenge. I am bringing a torch next time.
02-25-2014, 06:29 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

fine series... definitely a venue i must visit someday... the night captures are stunning... dave m
02-26-2014, 09:44 PM   #10

Love those evening/ night shots!
02-26-2014, 11:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I enjoyed that. The last picture was just great! I haven't been here since they finished the remodel some years ago (7-8 years?), mostly because I'm intimidated by the parking situation. Can you actually find a place to park on weekends? Are the crowds tolerable? I'd really like to go check it out, especially on one go those clear and cold winter days, even better if there's some snow on Baldy.
07-19-2017, 06:11 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
I'm intimidated by the parking situation. Can you actually find a place to park on weekends? Are the crowds tolerable? I'd really like to go check it out, especially on one go those clear and cold winter days, even better if there's some snow on Baldy.
Just looking at some old threads. Those night shots are during the "star party" nights with amateur astronomers with telescopes on the grass. It can be busy, and you may have circle the parking lot a while, or park down one of the roads and hump it up. Or, you could come up on a weekday (particularly when closed on Mondays) which may have better parking opportunities.
08-16-2017, 02:01 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm glad you came back to this old thread. Those are some great images. I'll have to get there on some future trip.