Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Batman : The Killing Joke
Lens: DA 18-135 WR Camera: Pentax K-30 Photo Location: Minden, NV ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F6.7 
Posted By: 6BQ5, 02-23-2014, 08:16 PM

If you are versed in comic book mythology then may recognize the subject line as the title of the short graphic novel written by Alan Moore and drawn by Brian Bolland. The 1988 book had a profound influence on the DC universe, most notably Batgirl's paralysis and the start of her transformation into Oracle. Bolland's cover image of the Joker has become something of an icon and, if I say so myself, a bit of a masterpiece. In fact, the artwork in the book is incredible from cover to cover!

I enjoy collecting and acquiring statues of DC comic book characters. Most of the statues on the market are of heroes and there are much fewer statues of villains. Kotobukiya released a statue last year of the Joker based on Bollard's cover. When I saw this statue announced in the Previews Catalog I put my name down for one. It's very well made with good detail and color. I enjoy photographing statues because they can be some of the most perfect subjects. They don't move. You can throw all the light you want on them and they won't complain. They're also very patient and allow you to take many shots!

Here's my shot of the statue.

Taking this shot required a team effort from my family! My wife snapped this with her iPhone. Pardon the tight crop. I am converting a utility room into a man-cave but there's a lot of utility left to be converted, like a clothes line for drying our underwear!

My two boys each held a flashlight. One was a 100 LED flood light with dying batteries and the other was a 1 LED spotlight with fresh batteries.

Yes, I shoot with two eyes open.
Views: 815
02-23-2014, 08:20 PM   #2
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
If you are versed in comic book mythology then may recognize the subject line as the title of the short graphic novel written by Alan Moore and drawn by Brian Bolland. The 1988 book had a profound influence on the DC universe, most notably Batgirl's paralysis and the start of her transformation into Oracle. Bolland's cover image of the Joker has become something of an icon and, if I say so myself, a bit of a masterpiece. In fact, the artwork in the book is incredible from cover to cover
That brings back memories and not all of them pleasant. That was such a dark and disturbing comic, and Batgirl's shooting and paralysis weren't the worst parts of it. Interesting shot although you might try again with fresher batteries in the flood or repositioning of the lights to see what effects you can create with the shadows..
02-23-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I loved it I was expecting to see some elaborate lighting setup impressive statue.
02-23-2014, 10:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great!
this character is rather picturesque

02-24-2014, 01:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Great shot, and nice set up there!!
02-24-2014, 07:39 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The family that shoots together gets good pictures. I'm glad you cropped out the underwear.
02-24-2014, 01:34 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
That brings back memories and not all of them pleasant. That was such a dark and disturbing comic, and Batgirl's shooting and paralysis weren't the worst parts of it. Interesting shot although you might try again with fresher batteries in the flood or repositioning of the lights to see what effects you can create with the shadows..
Yes, the book is very dark and disturbing. What else would you expect from Alan Moore? I think a lot of the material coming out of DC today with their New 52 reboot is even more dark and disturbing.

It was surprising to see just how much the flashlights wobbled because my kids had a hard time holding them steady. I told them how to point the lights and the lights would slowly drift around. Keeping one open gave me a better view of the lights. I was zoomed in enough to what felt like 1:1 viewing. When the lights drifted back I would quickly fire the shutter a few times!

After the shoot my younger boy says, "Papa! That was hard work! I can't hold a flashlight like that for very long! I'm too small!!"
02-24-2014, 01:58 PM   #8
PEG Gallery Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Hielands o' Scootlund....... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand"..............William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
The Killing Joker
You'll need to PP Pentax across the pentaprism before you can really post it here.