Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
New bird feeder attacked!
Posted By: dws1117, 04-16-2008, 01:41 PM

We put up a new bird feeder yesterday to hopefully attract something other than flowers for me to take pictures of. Today after I got home from my walk I was in the kitchen getting lunch and saw the dastardly deed unfold. It was hilarious. This little guy was having so much trouble.

These are all straight out of the camera. Only thing done was a resize. Please excuse the haze as they were shot through the window and well neither my wife or I are very good at cleaning the windows.

Views: 4,087
04-16-2008, 02:17 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Good one, that made me smile its great watching squirrels but difficult to photgraph one (for me) so well done. Did he get to them in the end?
04-16-2008, 02:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

So he jumped from the tree to the feeder? That is awesome, now I know what not to do. I think I will be putting in some feeders this weekend finally.
04-16-2008, 02:34 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Crafty little SOB. Neat series though.

04-16-2008, 02:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thomasjmpark Quote
Good one, that made me smile its great watching squirrels but difficult to photgraph one (for me) so well done. Did he get to them in the end?
Oddly enough, no he didn't succeed. He tried and tried from various angles but no goodies. I was a lot of fun to watch. You could almost see the frustration.
04-16-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good shots,

I would like to introduce my friend to your feeder https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/182066-post33.html

Keep the squirrels comming, I'm sure you'll never run out.
04-16-2008, 05:29 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Aw come on Wayne....give the little guy a break!! He's gotta get some marks for effort surely?

How about his own feeder?

Great capture.
04-16-2008, 05:40 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

What a great series. Love the thread title as well. The best shot is him hanging upside down. He can see the prize but it's just a little too far to reach.

You gotta put some seeds out somewhere else to reward those efforts and try to get some more shots of him.

04-16-2008, 05:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
Aw come on Wayne....give the little guy a break!! He's gotta get some marks for effort surely?

How about his own feeder?

Great capture.
That is on the list. Oddly enough I almost bought one when I picked up the bird feeder. We have a little family of between 3 and 5 that inhabit the trees in my yard and 2 of my close neighbors. They are so much fun to watch.

I've come to categorize squirrels.

City squirrels: they'll come right up to your feet beggin and take food from your hand.
Suburban squirrels: They know you, they're used to you, but if ya get within 20 feet they bolt for the nearest tree.
Wild squirrels: these are the one in the woods. You hear them but heck if you can see'em.

City Squirrel

The series is Suburban squirrel.

Last edited by dws1117; 04-16-2008 at 06:06 PM.
04-16-2008, 06:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Don't forget the "campground squirrels", a mix of "City squirrels" and "Wild squirrels"

First they sniff around for food....

And then they go right for the kitchen table!

Woe to you if you left any food outside your cooler!!!!

Pat
04-16-2008, 06:24 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Give him less then a week and he will be on it and feeding on a regular basis. We have similar feeders and away from trees and bushes and still needed to put collars on the steel bars going up.

Does anyone remember an old PBS documentary from maybe the 1980s where a British guy built a relatively long obstacle course over his yard including swings and moving rails and ball bearings that native squirrels needed to learn in parts inorder to get to the food. took them just a few weeks to learn.
04-16-2008, 06:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by weatherwise2 Quote
Give him less then a week and he will be on it and feeding on a regular basis. We have similar feeders and away from trees and bushes and still needed to put collars on the steel bars going up.

Does anyone remember an old PBS documentary from maybe the 1980s where a British guy built a relatively long obstacle course over his yard including swings and moving rails and ball bearings that native squirrels needed to learn in parts inorder to get to the food. took them just a few weeks to learn.

Yes, I was thinking of that show when I saw the photos. It is incredible how resourceful the little sonofaguns are. They can get past a lot of countermeasures if given enough time.
04-16-2008, 06:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Don't forget the "campground squirrels", a mix of "City squirrels" and "Wild squirrels"

First they sniff around for food....

And then they go right for the kitchen table!

Woe to you if you left any food outside your cooler!!!!

Pat
That's great, Pat and awesome shots but the "City squirrels around here are probably packin' heat and I'm fairly sure I saw one with it's tail pierced.
04-17-2008, 05:54 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Good series indeed, Wayne. If I wasn't an animal lover and if it was legal, I'd go out and get a BB gun. They ARE RATS and nothing more. Don't even think of setting-up a feeder just for them because when they're finished theirs, they'll go for the bird seed.

This year I'm also having problems with rabbits. Since they came out of h'nation they been eating up ALL the crocusses.
04-17-2008, 05:56 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice series Wayne. Those buggers are crafty indeed when 'free' food is around. Good captures.