Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  
What do Blue jays eat...
Posted By: normhead, 02-25-2014, 01:35 PM

What do Blue jays eat?

Toasted bread squares..

Peanuts

Chopped nuts...

Whatever I put out, it's all gone by morning.
Views: 2,545
02-26-2014, 07:33 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Westoz Quote
Great shots excellent detail!!!
Thanks for commenting

QuoteOriginally posted by sunrepairer Quote
Great clarity in these pictures, question how close were you when you took these pictures. I find blue jays are very hard to get close to,even if they see me thru the window they take off.
I have to confess, these Blue Jays were hatched in the woods behind our house 2 summers ago. At one point their parents all left, but still come through in the spring, to stay hello. These guys stayed and have never left. So they are kind of like "my Blue Jays". They aren't tame, they won't land on my hand like the chickadees, but they know when I bring out the tray with the toast and peanuts it's time to chow down, and if I'm late, they may stop and yell at the front window a bit to let me know I'm being tardy in my responsibilities. If I'm in the blind, they are still a little skittish, but not so skittish they won't come and pig out.

Last edited by normhead; 02-26-2014 at 08:58 AM.
02-26-2014, 08:47 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wonderful shots Norm with loads of detail and the colors just pop. Loved the story behind you bird family.
02-26-2014, 09:00 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Wonderful shots Norm with loads of detail and the colors just pop. Loved the story behind you bird family.
Thanks for commenting slowpez, you got through my story, typos and all, kudos.
02-26-2014, 01:06 PM   #19
MSL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
they may stop and yell at the front window a bit to let me know I'm being tardy in my responsibilities
Were they trained by Tess?

Interesting back story. Do these birds hang around all year round or do they do some exploring too? Any sense that when they become parents they too might leave the nest?

02-26-2014, 01:52 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Like most birds they never get more than 20% of their food from one source, so they are here, and then not here throughout the day. I get the pictures of the smaller birds when they are else where. I imagine that when they start breeding the fight for territory will become a little more intense. Once breeding season starts we see all the birds a lot less, and don't get big numbers again until the fall. There will be one breeding pair during the summer, but they find enough food else where, they come every couple of days, instead of every day.

QuoteQuote:
Were they trained by Tess?
If I don't decipher what Tess wants telepathically, she accuses me of not paying attention.

Last edited by normhead; 02-26-2014 at 02:22 PM.
02-26-2014, 02:06 PM   #21
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Your birds a luckier than ours, peanut butter sandwiches are not on the menu here.

Super sharp shots.
02-26-2014, 06:16 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Your birds a luckier than ours, peanut butter sandwiches are not on the menu here.

Super sharp shots.
You just need some retired people around there. When you're retired, feeding the birds is just part of your day.