Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Disney's Magic Kingdom
Posted By: dansamy, 02-26-2014, 09:56 AM

Plus one from the Kidani Village lobby.

From Winnie the Pooh. For you elders, this ride occupies the same place where Mr. Toad's Wild Ride was. The track is the same. The cars were transformed into Hunny Pots and the ride was stripped down to its bones and the Pooh theme overlaid. There is a scene where you can see Mr. Toad giving Winnie the Pooh the "deed" to the property. I've never managed to take a picture of that though.

From the graveyard outside the Haunted Mansion.

From the Tangled themed bathrooms/rest area. Yes, I said bathrooms. They're themed right down to the frying pans.

From the lobby at Kidani Village. This is our "home" away from home, where we usually stay at Disney. It is breathtaking, remote and peaceful. Many people complain about its remoteness relative to the rest of Disney property, but it's the reason I choose it time and time again.

Views: 2,141
02-26-2014, 10:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I haven't been to Disney since they had the ticket system. Looks like I am not going to be going anytime soon either. A couple of days there and I could be dropping the equivalent of my rent now. I love the Magic Kingdom, and I'd love to go back, but I honestly could not afford it these days. Post some more pics of the Haunted Mansion if you have them? I always loved that.
02-26-2014, 10:40 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have some more, but they aren't as good.
02-26-2014, 10:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

So post them anyway. They don't have to be perfect to be enjoyed. Thanks!

02-26-2014, 10:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'll look through some of my older trip pictures. And yes, Disney is pricing themselves out of the middle class American family's budget. Most middle class American families might be able to save and go on that one trip for their kids and never again. We're blessed to live about 10 hours away. We also had the foresight to know that a timeshare might be a bad idea for your average family of 4, but it makes a lot more sense for big families that won't fit in a standard hotel room. So, our travel is inexpensive, our lodging is pretty much an annual budget line anyway. We've gone before and bought only party tickets or youth education tickets. The timeshare means we can cook. I spend about as much to go camping as I do to go to Disney. Either way, any vacation for a family of five is expensive.
02-26-2014, 11:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Mag is right about those disney prices. What are they thinking? They are giving Florida residents a break on ticket prices. When the haunted house was a fairly new ride, my husband and I and our three young boys got stuck inside at the dining room for an hours. We got to watch those ghosts fade in and out the whole time. It never did get boring.
02-26-2014, 11:31 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
When my kids are old enough, we'll start doing behind the scenes tours.

02-26-2014, 11:37 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
We went to WDW last summer. 10 days, 8 people (wife, me, 4 kids, 2 grandparents), stayed at All-Stars, airfare from Vegas to WDW plus transport from airport to hotel, 8 days in various parks, 2 days "off"..........$12,000!!! BUT our oldest is 16, youngest was 8, and we will all remember this for the rest of our lives. Can't put a price-tag on memories and (mostly) family fun...or so my wife says. At the very least, I was able to upgrade from K200D to K-5ii. I took 3,300 images! It was a b*tch narrowing and cutting and editing those. They were all jpeg, though. Thank goodness I didn't shoot raw and have to process all those.

Edited to say: Nice pics! I don't remember seeing this attraction.
02-26-2014, 11:37 AM   #9
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice pictures Amy.

What Disney location is this?

When I was a young boy in So Cal my grandma took my sister and I to Disneyland in Anaheim, a couple times a month. She also took us to Knott's Berry Farm and Marineland several times a year.

We were spoiled grandkids.

I remember when they opened up the Haunted Mansion. You started out in the foyer. The doors closed and then the room got taller ( not sure if the floor dropped or the ceiling rose) and the pictures on the wall stretched vertically. On one of them the guy's pants droppedand his expression changed.

Good times.
02-26-2014, 11:42 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World.

Interesting Disney history. The Haunted Mansion's stretching room in Disneyland is an elevator going down to the loading area. In Disney World, the ceiling goes up because the loading area is on the same level as the entrance you came in.
02-26-2014, 12:32 PM   #11

In the grand theme of things the Disney prices aren't so bad.
Although we don't go as often as my son wishes, we watch for the Disney specials during the slow weeks.
We went in January this year, and received the dining plan free with a minimum 5 day room and tickets.
Even with the ridiculous cost of airfares and airport fees to get out of the frozen north, it worked out to about $250/day per person for the week based on 3 people.
This included airfare, rooms, most meals, and the park tickets

When you compare this to the cost of summer camping road trip, fishing or hunting trips, ski trips etc it seems to be about the same $/day.

A friend of mine has a kid playing hockey and he could go to Disney twice for what the tournament weekends cost him in a season.
02-26-2014, 12:52 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Great pics! Was the Pooh ride silly and fun like Mr. Toad's was? That was always one of my favorites as a little guy.

QuoteOriginally posted by jimt Quote
A friend of mine has a kid playing hockey and he could go to Disney twice for what the tournament weekends cost him in a season.
...or drive a much nicer car, live in a mansion, own a yacht...
02-26-2014, 01:19 PM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
The folk at Disney can certainly seem to put on show.

Great image series, you saved me fortune I don't need to go now.
02-26-2014, 10:36 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great photos, really like that last shot - very sharp and nice bokeh lights in the background.
02-27-2014, 02:48 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ausmoose Quote
Great photos, really like that last shot - very sharp and nice bokeh lights in the background.
That last one was literally about the third or fourth picture with my k-5ii.