Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Model shoot from Wednesday morning
Posted By: hamidlmt, 04-16-2008, 06:47 PM

I worked with Mindy this morning... we've shot a couple times before, but it's been months. This was about her second time working with studio lighting.

All shots were with the same gray seamless paper background. For lighting I used my combination of Photoflex Starlites in a softbox and octodome, plus 2 gelled hot shoe flashes triggered wirelessly.

And, yes... she has tattoos and piercings... get over it! : )

A little processing experiment...

Views: 2,475
04-16-2008, 10:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

A quality series Hamid.

My favs are the first 3. I love the major contrast in #1, almost film noir if the light was harder. #2 really shows great lighting fundamentals. #3 the pose wins it and the composition.

Thanks for sharing Hamid!
04-16-2008, 11:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It is funny, when I look at a series of photos taken of a model I tend to try and evaluate what the natural average look is for that model (as some models can almost look like 4 different people depending on camera angle and lighting techniques). I think I do this instinctively to try and understand the different opportunities visually. I enjoyed the photos. The first 3 photos all had a different feel or emotion that I liked.
# 1 love the way the models eye catches the viewer (nice eyes balanced with slight smile)
#2 has a fragile quailty (lighting is well carried throughout, very nice work)
#3 soft reserve (I like the gentle flat lighting as it worked well with the nose)
The tattoos do not bother me visually, rather they add to the story of Mindy that your pictures have started to paint. (I wonder what the written passage is about, my guess is that she wrote it personally, perhaps she is a writer and the symbol is meant to reflect her craft.
I enjoyed your post, like always you leave us with something to think about.
04-17-2008, 06:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well done - she has a very expressive face, especially the eyes. #4 the right side of her face seems a little overexposed on my monitor anyway. I really like #2 and the last one.

04-17-2008, 07:18 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another great series, Hamid. Interesting tattoo, I like it.
04-17-2008, 07:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

gorgeous Rembrandt lighting in that first shot! love them all!
04-17-2008, 01:55 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
A quality series Hamid.

My favs are the first 3. I love the major contrast in #1, almost film noir if the light was harder. #2 really shows great lighting fundamentals. #3 the pose wins it and the composition.

Thanks for sharing Hamid!
Thanks Chris! Your comment on the first shot got me thinking of how to obtain that film noir look with the lighting I have. That was with a gridded Octodome.... I wonder if removing the diffuser panels and keeping the grid in place would give that hard, directional light...

QuoteOriginally posted by spyglass Quote
It is funny, when I look at a series of photos taken of a model I tend to try and evaluate what the natural average look is for that model (as some models can almost look like 4 different people depending on camera angle and lighting techniques). I think I do this instinctively to try and understand the different opportunities visually. I enjoyed the photos. The first 3 photos all had a different feel or emotion that I liked.
# 1 love the way the models eye catches the viewer (nice eyes balanced with slight smile)
#2 has a fragile quailty (lighting is well carried throughout, very nice work)
#3 soft reserve (I like the gentle flat lighting as it worked well with the nose)
The tattoos do not bother me visually, rather they add to the story of Mindy that your pictures have started to paint. (I wonder what the written passage is about, my guess is that she wrote it personally, perhaps she is a writer and the symbol is meant to reflect her craft.
I enjoyed your post, like always you leave us with something to think about.
The first 3 seems to be the most popular out of the lot. I actually prefer them too, but wanted to try something different in the last 2.

By the way.... I'm told the tattoo is a compilation of Anne Sexton's poetry.

Appreciate your thoughts!

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Well done - she has a very expressive face, especially the eyes. #4 the right side of her face seems a little overexposed on my monitor anyway. I really like #2 and the last one.
#4 is over-exposed. I went for that look in camera and then took it further in post-processing. Just playing and trying something different.

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
Another great series, Hamid. Interesting tattoo, I like it.
Thanks! It sure is one gutsy bit of body art!

QuoteOriginally posted by jshurak Quote
gorgeous Rembrandt lighting in that first shot! love them all!
Thanks! I seem to really be drawn to that kind of lighting... just one light can do amazing things.

04-17-2008, 02:24 PM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, Well done Hamid,
I love the lighting also esp. in 1 & 2, and her eyes are engaging in 1 & 5.
But #3 is just beautiful also, one is drawn to the message behind her pose, not just on her arm!
Great posing work Hamid, thanks for sharing again.
04-17-2008, 05:22 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Yes, Well done Hamid,
I love the lighting also esp. in 1 & 2, and her eyes are engaging in 1 & 5.
But #3 is just beautiful also, one is drawn to the message behind her pose, not just on her arm!
Great posing work Hamid, thanks for sharing again.
Thank you Ash! I appreciate your comments! It's always nice to see everyone's work on this forum!