Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Highly addictive
Camera: k-3 Photo Location: Sandnes, Norway 
Posted By: sormel, 03-03-2014, 01:33 PM

Ok, I've been struggling.
Posting pictures here have become almost addictive.
Now I've been offline for a few days - but enough is enough.
Still having fun with my k-3 and exploring new opportunities. The last few days have shown me that going digital enables you to switch iso in-between pictures, which is something I need to practice a bit more. Also - I've finally figured out how to use two old flashes on a "photo switch" (what do you call those flash triggers that react upon flash light). Have a look at some of my pictures from the last few days, neither of them are breath taking - but I sure had fun while taking them.
First of all - we're in wideangle mode, 10mm-17mm to be specific.
Then it's 70mm Limited for a few shots, before trying the Lensbaby sweet 35 after some shots with the standard f1,8 50mm

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Views: 740
03-03-2014, 01:53 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looks like you are really having a great time with your camera. Also looks as though spring has started to appear in your part of the world. Enjoyed the series and look forward to seeing more from you.
03-03-2014, 03:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not bad attempts with your new kit.

Some could use a bit of PP work though. I can't get past the color fringing in that first photo! Holy purple! Clean that up and work the colors a bit and you might have something there!
03-03-2014, 04:47 PM   #4

The reflection of the clouds in the lake in your second photo is fantastic. So glassy and clear. I can't wait for spring to arrive here in Seattle (and our clouds to go away).

03-04-2014, 12:07 PM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow that first image would keep Prince happy with his Purple Rain, a bit of PP required there please.
03-04-2014, 02:23 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Wow that first image would keep Prince happy with his Purple Rain, a bit of PP required there please.
Ok - I'll be the first to admit that my photos are merely snapshots, nothing poster-worthy as of now, I'm beginning to learn the transition to digital means I can actually step up the ISO for a single shot - not something that requires film change and darkroom post-processing.
As for digital post processing I'm truly a beginner, for close to ten years now I've been satisfied with Picasa - and the "fixing" tools available there, now and then I've tried to use other programs dedicated to raw processing, typically Silkypix based software - always with the same result, I don't understand the terminology - and if I succeed to make a change in the image - it's always towards making it worse.
So now - my question, several of you mention "PP" and "PP work" - to me that is just letters - but I'm hoping there is something worth learning here - I would very much like to be proud of my snapshots - and to create poster worthy pictures, so if PP is the thing I need to understand and use, then I'll give it a try.
But - what is PP?
03-04-2014, 02:33 PM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sormel Quote
what is PP
PP = Post Production, using which ever software you have.

Fringing can usually be adjusted very easily in colour correction for either green or purple fringes.
03-04-2014, 02:55 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Trying PP

Ok - I've used Picasa, and selected a neutral color (guessing about 18% grey in the sky between the branches) is this going the right way?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-04-2014, 03:19 PM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not familiar with Picasa, is there not a defringe function under chromic aberrations somewhere, it really is point and click in some softwares.

Any Picasa users out there care to jump in?

I'm a Lightroom, ACR and PS CC guy, all of which make short work of these fringing issues.
03-05-2014, 11:23 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not sure what you mean about selecting color. It looks like you took all of the interesting color out of the sky and the bright purple and green fringing in the branches is as prominent as ever. I also use lightroom and not picasa and chromatic aberration fixing is literally a pull of the slider...
03-05-2014, 11:25 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
This time using the Silkypix that came with the k-3

Had to really look around - but finally found a checkbox marked fringing - had to set the value to 100 - and this is the result:
Any improvements?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-05-2014, 03:16 PM   #12
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Much better, it could still go a bit more if you have it, you must see the difference yourself too.
03-05-2014, 09:30 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The flowers in pic number 5 are coming up here too!
03-06-2014, 05:43 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sormel Quote
Had to really look around - but finally found a checkbox marked fringing - had to set the value to 100 - and this is the result:
Any improvements?
absolutely better. There's still some fringing in the top left and right corners but much of the fringing in the center is gone. I hope you see the difference too!