Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Once more around the yard
Lens: 55-300 WR Camera: K-30 Photo Location: WV 
Posted By: TonyTurley, 03-04-2014, 02:37 PM

Some more from around the front yard with the K-30 + 55-300 WR. At one point, there were 5 Cardinals and 2 Bluejays in the tree right in front of the window, all maneuvering for the feeder, when a flock of Starlings swooped in from nowhere and drove them all away. In fact, 3 different times today one or more Starlings drove away other birds as I was trying to get a shot. Then the squirrel appeared. The squirrel was quite bold; after the first couple of times, it didn't flee even when I beat on the window. It also did a great job of keeping the birds away. I do wonder how you folks get such clear, sharp photos of animals running and jumping using MF lenses (Tess?). I was using MF on the 55-300, and had trouble keeping the squirrel sharp as it ran toward me.

Views: 656
03-04-2014, 02:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots Tony, I wish the critters in my yard would stick around long enough for me get shots like these.
03-04-2014, 02:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
Nice shots Tony, I wish the critters in my yard would stick around long enough for me get shots like these.
Thanks. I have lost quite a few because of their skittishness, even with me being inside, but I'm pleased with these.
03-04-2014, 02:57 PM   #4
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With MF lenses you pick your point of focus and wait for the action to come to you. Or you get really good at turning the focus subtly. Some lenses do this well, some are hopeless for this.
Thinking of setting up a small birdhouse that I was given in the backyard to see what birds may show up, but I suspect the squirrels will just remove the whole things from the nail I put it on and wander off with it.
Nice collection of shots - you don't have much to complain about from this set.

03-04-2014, 03:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Marc. It did occur to me later that I would have been better off with focusing in front of the squirrel, instead of on it. Still learning how to capture moving things. I prefer MF, which is a lot easier with a landscape.