Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
In your face
Lens: Pentax 50mm f4 Macro Camera: K10 Photo Location: Mitchell Co. Ga. 
Posted By: bluestringer, 03-05-2014, 05:15 AM

A robber fly.....................

Last edited by bluestringer; 03-31-2014 at 05:29 AM.
Views: 495
03-05-2014, 05:27 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ultra close ultra detailed!
03-05-2014, 07:19 AM   #3

Wow! Very cool!
03-05-2014, 07:35 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Wow, very impressive!! I would love to hear how you got this shot. I see that you used a 50mm lens, so, is this cropped, did you use an extension tube, did that fly really let you get that close? I have not tried out macro yet, but it is definitely something that I am interested in.

03-05-2014, 08:13 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, I sure don't want him in my face. Really great detail in the critter. Well done.
03-05-2014, 09:17 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks all.

Paul, this photo was taken with a Pentax 50mm f4 macro lens with 50mm of tubes. I have two ring flashes but I can't remember which one was used here, either a Sunpak DX-8R or a Vivitar Macro 5000. Some insects will allow you to get close if you are quiet and sneaky, the robber flies seem to sit still and don't move around a lot. I did some mild cropping with this photo as I do with most of my macros. The 50mm f4 is an older manual lens. When using tubes I always set the lens to infinity focus and use the catch in focus ability of the camera, I can then move my body with the camera and while holding down the shutter button I point my focus where I want it and slowly move in until the camera fires. Aperture ranges from f8-f16 and I always use flash synch speed of 1/180.
03-05-2014, 09:42 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by bluestringer Quote
Thanks all.

Paul, this photo was taken with a Pentax 50mm f4 macro lens with 50mm of tubes. I have two ring flashes but I can't remember which one was used here, either a Sunpak DX-8R or a Vivitar Macro 5000. Some insects will allow you to get close if you are quiet and sneaky, the robber flies seem to sit still and don't move around a lot. I did some mild cropping with this photo as I do with most of my macros. The 50mm f4 is an older manual lens. When using tubes I always set the lens to infinity focus and use the catch in focus ability of the camera, I can then move my body with the camera and while holding down the shutter button I point my focus where I want it and slowly move in until the camera fires. Aperture ranges from f8-f16 and I always use flash synch speed of 1/180.
Thanks so much for the rundown! I love hearing about how these shots are captured and learning new techniques!
03-05-2014, 09:57 AM   #8
MSL
Veteran Member

Do you find you are "always" succesful with this method, or does it take several CIF shots to make sure you nail the focus? Also - is this the M version of the lens or a Tak? I'm assuming the M version because I can't see how CIF would work once a lens was stopped down, whereas with the M version you can at lest focus wide open.

03-05-2014, 10:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Wow Dennis that is Scary Close.
03-05-2014, 02:07 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Do you find you are "always" succesful with this method, or does it take several CIF shots to make sure you nail the focus? Also - is this the M version of the lens or a Tak? I'm assuming the M version because I can't see how CIF would work once a lens was stopped down, whereas with the M version you can at lest focus wide open.

Not 100% successful, but it works most of the time. Wind and my old age shaking can cause problems sometimes. And there will be times when the CIF just will not cooperate. I usually take several shots if the subject stays still long enough. Yes it is a M lens.
03-05-2014, 03:08 PM   #11
MSL
Veteran Member

Wind and my old age shaking can cause problems sometimes. And there will be times when the CIF just will not cooperate
Been there, done that - at least the wind aspect - far too many times. I don't have many M lenses, more m42 ones, and I know I have to limit how much I stop down if I want CIF to still work.
03-06-2014, 06:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

This is sooooooo cool! Otherworldly and beautiful. I have never ever in my life found a fly beautiful. But those "eyelashes" are amazing atop the groovy eyes. Big Wow from me.
03-06-2014, 07:30 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, nice detail, I have been trying to capture something like that. Not successful yet.