Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The Horseman...
Posted By: clarenceclose, 01-23-2007, 07:35 AM

One of the people who used to ride with the group breaks and gentles horses. He is a very nice guy with a gentle spirit and he is all cowboy. The only thing missing is the big iron on his hip. I took this shot before a group ride and wanted to give it a different flavor, something older. The background required some work to take out the modern look/objects so I went with a simpler presentation.
Would appreciate you thoughts.
By the way, this is not a photograph of a framed photo.

Views: 2,193
01-23-2007, 09:05 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
How about a view of the origonal?

Walt
01-23-2007, 10:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Now that's interesting! Is that a map of the state in the background, with all the wiggly lines? Fascinating treatment, I'd like to know more about how you did it, if you're willing to share your secrets.

Julie
01-23-2007, 11:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Clarence,
As you have said several times on this forum, It's a good thing we have different opinions and taste. Your work is great but this one leaves me cold. But that's just me.

Regards,

01-23-2007, 12:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by foxglove Quote
Now that's interesting! Is that a map of the state in the background, with all the wiggly lines? Fascinating treatment, I'd like to know more about how you did it, if you're willing to share your secrets.

Julie
Not a map of anyplace (though I know a way to do that with some more work and accomplish a similar thing), just a plugin by FX that emulates plaster/cracked mud. Had to work at the placement of the 'removed' portions of the plaster to get rid of more modern looking objects in the original shot.

Made a sketch of the photo, overlaid with a pantone color (probably 161 or 154) in softlight blend mode.

Ken, you may not like the photo treatment but I thought of all things you would be interested in the frame technique as it may work with some of the work you are doing with the lobster fisheries. Matter of fact, I thought of you when I posted this photoshopped creation.
01-23-2007, 02:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Clarence,
I do appreciate that. Up to this point framing is something that scares the living bejesus out of me. My understanding of complimentary colors is woefully lacking. I don't frame anything because of this. Guess it's time to start learning something else new.

Thanks,
01-23-2007, 04:12 PM   #7
roy
Inactive Account

very nice technique, i like it.. and i usually don't..

01-23-2007, 05:08 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Hi All!

Program Photoshop in a usual complete set (it concerns and to CS2) it is inconvenient enough and it is poorly adapted to design works. Are necessary many additions to it to buy. And here cost of program (СS2) 1000 $... (in my City) . I advise to try to work with the real competitor of program Photoshop - editor GIMP. This program practically has the same opportunities, the most important is frequently updated also - this program free-of-charge!... This program can be found through my site:

"Erased a hieroglyph" (... new, " interesting sites ", P, next, GIMP (a site of the developer)...) There it is possible to download the latest version.
01-23-2007, 11:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I agree with Prizmatic and recommend GIMP, though I have not used it I have looked at some really nice artwork from those who have much experience with this software.

Thank you all for your comments and critiques.

Walt I have to apologize, the original is archived and I am having a hard time finding it now.
01-23-2007, 11:17 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by foxglove Quote

Julie
I agree. It looks well done for what it is, and i can certainly understand how some people might like it .