Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
The Amish
Lens: Da 55-300 Camera: K-7 Photo Location: Pennsylvania 
Posted By: slowpez, 03-06-2014, 09:15 AM

Worked hard at not intruding on these people as they do not like to have their photo taken.
These are old shots that I have converted to B&W and added some detail to make them feel old.
Love to know what you think.

Last edited by slowpez; 03-27-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Views: 936
03-06-2014, 09:44 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
sherrvonne's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,932
These are very interesting, especially like the 2nd one.
03-06-2014, 09:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member
tessfully's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: S. Algonquin, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,855
I think they are perfect! Love the antiquated feel, the compositions, and the soft mistiness of these. Seriously good. The second and third are most definitely framable and sellable. Nothing wrong with the first, but I would choose the last two to hang on my wall.
03-06-2014, 09:57 AM   #4
Pentaxian
slowpez's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 17,847
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
These are very interesting, especially like the 2nd one.
Thanks. That one has been posted here before but in the color version. Glad you liked it.

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
I think they are perfect! Love the antiquated feel, the compositions, and the soft mistiness of these. Seriously good. The second and third are most definitely framable and sellable. Nothing wrong with the first, but I would choose the last two to hang on my wall.
Thanks Tess. It has been fun to go back and look at some of the old stuff to see what could be done differently. Appreciate the kind comment.

03-06-2014, 10:01 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
MadMathMind's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,717
Nice! I'd love to see these in sepia tones.
03-06-2014, 10:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member
fretlessdavis's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Port Angeles, WA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 501
I agree! Get a lab that prints true B&W (preferrably Ilford, preferrably) and run it through a Kodak Sepia II toner to get the 'classic' yellow-brown Sepia look.

Or better yet, get some enlarged negatives done, and have those Pt/Pd contact printed. This subject would be a perfect match for Pt/Pd (Ideally, probably shot on an 8x10 camera and an anastigmat lens, but it's too late for that, now =) )
03-06-2014, 11:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member
Bob Harris's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canon City, Colorado
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,471
love these Susan, really works well with the treatment. The second one is really special
03-06-2014, 11:22 AM   #8
Pentaxian
slowpez's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 17,847
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
Nice! I'd love to see these in sepia tones.
Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by fretlessdavis Quote
I agree! Get a lab that prints true B&W (preferrably Ilford, preferrably) and run it through a Kodak Sepia II toner to get the 'classic' yellow-brown Sepia look.

Or better yet, get some enlarged negatives done, and have those Pt/Pd contact printed. This subject would be a perfect match for Pt/Pd (Ideally, probably shot on an 8x10 camera and an anastigmat lens, but it's too late for that, now =) )
I have absolutely no idea what you mean about getting enlarged negatives done or Pt/Pd. Am now feeling like I took a double dose of stupid pills this morning.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
love these Susan, really works well with the treatment. The second one is really special
Thanks Bob.

03-06-2014, 11:34 AM   #9
Veteran Member
fretlessdavis's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Port Angeles, WA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 501
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Thanks.



I have absolutely no idea what you mean about getting enlarged negatives done or Pt/Pd. Am now feeling like I took a double dose of stupid pills this morning.



Thanks Bob.
Platinum and Palladium printing-- it was primarily used from the 1850s to 1930s, and would give a cool, period correct look.

Same with true sepia (sulfide) toning of a fiber silver print.

For certain subjects, the modern technologies and historic processes make for truly breathtaking images.
03-06-2014, 12:29 PM   #10
Senior Member
monoloco's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pescadero BCS Mexico
Posts: 287
Beautiful, you really nailed it with the B&W, looks like classic early 20th century Americana.
03-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #11
Pentaxian
slowpez's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 17,847
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fretlessdavis Quote
Platinum and Palladium printing-- it was primarily used from the 1850s to 1930s, and would give a cool, period correct look.

Same with true sepia (sulfide) toning of a fiber silver print.

For certain subjects, the modern technologies and historic processes make for truly breathtaking images.
I am taking your word for that.

QuoteOriginally posted by monoloco Quote
Beautiful, you really nailed it with the B&W, looks like classic early 20th century Americana.
Thanks a lot.
03-06-2014, 02:30 PM   #12
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 38,976
Well done, a true timeless feel about theses images and also their way of life.

I often wonder if the rest of us has got it wrong with our fast paced lifestyles.
03-06-2014, 02:33 PM   #13
Pentaxian
slowpez's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 17,847
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Well done, a true timeless feel about theses images and also their way of life.

I often wonder if the rest of us has got it wrong with our fast paced lifestyles.
Thank you my friend. Appreciate it.
03-06-2014, 03:48 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,201
I really like these, Susan. The compositions are quite nice and your treatment works very well. Also, these pics bring back memories of the '70s when we lived east of Columbus near some Amish country. I know I've got some Kodachrome slides of these fine folks somewhere in the closet - I ought to dig around and see if I can find them.

Jer
03-06-2014, 04:02 PM   #15
Veteran Member
FrancisK7's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 474
#2 is my favorite. well done!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
amish, camera, columbus, jer, memories, photo, post, thanks
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Black & White Amish Farms ramseybuckeye Post Your Photos! 6 02-02-2014 07:59 AM
Architecture Amish Barn Raising stormtech Post Your Photos! 28 12-17-2013 05:10 PM
People Amish & Hot Air Balloon BethC Post Your Photos! 3 06-04-2013 08:56 AM
Landscape Amish Laundry Day Stevizzy Photo Critique 5 11-12-2012 04:33 AM
People amish anglers dcmsox2004 Post Your Photos! 12 07-17-2012 06:59 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:19 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top