Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Getting Published? Woohoo!
Lens: Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5 Camera: MX Photo Location: Cochise Stronghold, AZ ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/30s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: fretlessdavis, 03-06-2014, 12:07 PM

So, it appears that this is going to be used in an ad in a German brewing magazine.

This photo was totally an accident, and was horribly overexposed... We had some shade on the rock climb up-- which was an EPIC multipitch adventure-- and was taking a few shots in the shade on the way up. Thankfully I was at the hyperfocal when I accidentally snapped this... the shutter button on the MX is soooo sensitive!

Anyways, this is FP4, shot at 80, developed at about N-1, which wasn't enough compensation, haha. A scanner couldn't really punch through the highlights, so I printed this with a 'pre-flash' (actually old, heat fogged Ilford paper that acts like it was pre-flashed to *just* before it's flash point). Split grade printing to get the climber's skin tones looking right, without making the shadows look fake, and some burning in on both sides at a lower contrast to bring some detail to the highlights.

I almost didn't print this, but my girlfriend thought our friend (the subject) would appreciate it.

Anyways, here it is (copy stand, K-X, some levels adjustments to get it to look like the print. I'll be reprinting this sometime soon, and will be taking it to a graphics shop for a quality scan. That should work, since it'll be reproduced at about 1/3 the size of the 8x10 print.

Views: 550
03-06-2014, 12:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is a cool shot, and totally looks like it should be in an ad.
03-06-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks! I almost passed the negative by and didn't print it! I'm sure glad my girlfriend was so insistent that our friend would like that shot...
03-06-2014, 12:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nicely done. I would buy that beer based on that ad.

03-06-2014, 12:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calculator01 Quote
Nicely done. I would buy that beer based on that ad.
Mee, too!

Too bad it isn't currently available in the USA =(

Maybe I can get a case shipped to me, for use on future rock climbing trips
03-06-2014, 12:34 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Good deal. If it was so overexposed, why are the shadows so deep?
03-06-2014, 12:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Good deal. If it was so overexposed, why are the shadows so deep?
Printing choice. It didn't look right without the shadows on the climber being so bright, so that part was printed at a higher contrast grade. The rocks on the bottom right were actually darker than the shadows in the shirt wrinkles.

EDIT:

'Horribly Overexposed' in terms of digital I guess, in reality it was about 2.5 stops over exposed over my normal 2/3 stop overexposure. Hard to say, as I didn't actually meter, but the negative is incredibly dense.
03-06-2014, 02:32 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Congrats. Well deserved. Hope you did something really nice for your girlfriend.

03-06-2014, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #9
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

I think we all need to sample the said beer, before committing our approval for this image being used as a beer ad.
03-06-2014, 03:42 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats - that's a super pic, focuses on the product but puts in a cool context.

Jer
03-07-2014, 09:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

So the beer is available at BevMo here, actually, I'll be sampling it again soon. =)

I'll show everyone a copy of the ad when it gets published-- It's a quarterly magazine, so it'll be a while still.
03-07-2014, 12:10 PM   #12
Pentaxian

What's interesting is I really can't tell what brand that beer is. But if the beer company likes it, that's all that matters.
03-07-2014, 12:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
What's interesting is I really can't tell what brand that beer is. But if the beer company likes it, that's all that matters.
From what I gather, it's a pretty common label in Europe:

http://gicom0809.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/WebContent/images/labels/Bischofsh...%20-%200x0.jpg

Also, from what it seems, the general image is what they like-- not necessarily because of the brand of beer that's being held, but the overall image. Makes me feel a bit better about myself as a photographer =)