Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Old Gunpowder storage building from Civil War
Posted By: Ed in GA, 09-25-2006, 03:31 PM

Please, critique for content, composition & etc.

Views: 2,118
09-25-2006, 06:00 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great composition and color, but the burned-out sky at the top really hurts the picture overall, IMO.

It may be fixable in PS, but that depends...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-25-2006, 06:15 PM   #3
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
Great composition and color, but the burned-out sky at the top really hurts the picture overall, IMO.

It may be fixable in PS, but that depends...

My attempt was to frame the old building using the greenery.

I took several shots of the building. Here is one that I think might better define the old building with less of the sky in the upper left hand corner. Also taken with a different lens. these both are direct from the camera with no editing at all.

09-25-2006, 07:14 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

They sky's much better in the second, but the white balance is slightly less appealing- it's still great, though, especially since it's not been edited!

I guess a mix of the two would be ideal.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-25-2006, 07:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Photo #2 much better...

Hi Eddy!

Really interesting building. The composition and the colors in #2 look much better to me. The position of the building in #1 just makes it look like it got chopped off. The position in #2 gives the feeling that there's more to see and learn about the building.

The colors in #1 have a sepia tone to them - which suits the 'old building' theme. But I like the greens better in photo #2.
09-25-2006, 10:05 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Yeah I prefer the colours in #2 too.

Maybe some close ups of the old building could get some interesting textured shots?
09-26-2006, 02:54 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Old gunpowder building

Hi Eddie,
Both Pictures are very good. And for just comming out of the camera they are excelant. You can fix all of the problems mentioned by a little Post processing. If you have a program that works with highlights/shadows bring up your midtones just a bit and bring up your highlights to darken it just a bit over what you corrected in midtones. I would leave the shadows alone unless the highlight correction changes them to much. Then I would add a little hue/saturation to bring up the colors in the sky and the trees.

Over all you have a very fine eye and the framing you did with the trees and natural surroundings proves that. Congrats on some very good shooting.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David
09-26-2006, 04:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I definitely like the second one better. There is no distraction from the sky, and there is more of the building to see, which shows more of the character of the building. I also like the colors better in the second one.

The first one is a nice picture, but the second one makes me want to go explore the building!