Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Wet Plateau
Lens: DA 15, DA 21, FA 28, Tokina 400 Camera: K20D Photo Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee 
Posted By: mole, 03-07-2014, 07:38 PM

Was away for about a week at Cumberland Mountain State Park in Crossville TN for Ranger training, meetings, etc. Took advantage of some spare moments to check out the lovely wet scenes along the Cumberland Plateau.

This dam is said to be the largest masonry structure built by the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps), and is one of the most recognizable landmarks of Cumberland Mountain State Park. It's made of native Crab Orchard sandstone.

There are several State Natural Areas located near Cumberland Mountain. Here are a few shots of the "main attraction" at Stinging Fork Falls State Natural Area. (Do you have any preference among these different "poses?")

Another nearby Plateau natural area is Piney Falls. The trail takes you past some fine "up close and personal" views of the local sandstone.

And then the trail leads to Piney Falls...

The trail continues behind the falls, and then across the top of the falls!

Back at Cumberland Mountain, we were also pleased to spot a flock of Buffleheads visiting the park's lake.

Hope you enjoyed the wet views of the Cumberland Plateau! Thanks in advance for any comments & critique!

Views: 1,022
03-07-2014, 07:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Incredible architecture and craftsmanship in the first two shots.Shots #4 and #10 are my favorite views.
03-08-2014, 08:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Another wonderful trip this morning and it isn't even noon. Thanks again for taking me along. Wonderful series.
03-08-2014, 09:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Did I ever enjoy them! Your photos are always phenomenal. You say you were there for Ranger training; do you work for the U.S. Forest Service?

03-08-2014, 06:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ed - Indeed some amazing craftsmanship - which is true of many CCC structures. A fascinating part of our US history... Thanks for the kind comments and specific feedback!

Susan - So glad you enjoyed this and the other "tours."

Tony - You are too kind! To answer your question, not with US Forest Service, but a Park Ranger with Tennessee State Parks (coming up on my 35th year of service).
03-08-2014, 06:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

all great photos to view Ranger, but I really like the waterfall from behind.
03-09-2014, 09:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mole Quote
Tony - You are too kind! To answer your question, not with US Forest Service, but a Park Ranger with Tennessee State Parks (coming up on my 35th year of service).
I must say I'm sort of envious. I considered going into that line of work coming out of college, but never pursued it. As much as I love studying trees, hiking, and photography, it probably would have been a good fit.

03-09-2014, 12:40 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, Ranger, thanks! What's to critique? Super series, thanks again for taking us along on your hikes. I enjoy every one!
03-09-2014, 01:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Well done as usual, Mole. My "preference" on any of these shots would be that I wish I had taken them. I always enjoy looking at what you post.
03-25-2014, 06:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bob - sorry to be so late in answering - have been "out on the trail" for quite a while. Hope you'll be able to come east sometime to enjoy the refreshing views behind several of our waterfalls!

Tony - You can always consider volunteering, or working as a summer ranger-intern. Let me know if you are interested!

Julie - You are too kind!

Tom - Thanks so much!!
03-26-2014, 12:38 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

outstanding shots of some beautiful country, a pleasure to view
cheers
03-26-2014, 03:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Beautiful park and love all the waterfall shots.
03-26-2014, 11:54 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mole Quote
Tony - You can always consider volunteering, or working as a summer ranger-intern. Let me know if you are interested!
I'd love to, but I think TN would be a bit of a commute. But seriously, it might be something I consider when I retire in a few years. I'll actually be eligible in less than a year, but will likely stay to get 30 years.