Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Macro Blossoms....
Posted By: mtnbearhug, 04-17-2008, 07:28 PM

After Stu told me how to change my F value (yes it was very easy and if it was a snake I would be dead!!) I had to play so here are the results.. Thanks Stu!!! Your the bestest!!

Let me know what you think!!!!

F19.. blossom...

F16.. These are those tinsy tiny white flowers (pencil led size) that cover the ground

To me the best shot of the day... at F22....

I even took a series of the same picture at different values just to see the differences.. If you have never done it then I suggest it.. It really helps a person visualize the differences..

Thanks and Enjoy!!! Kim
Views: 2,397
04-17-2008, 09:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
YAY! Kim great pics It really does make a difference doesn't it
04-17-2008, 09:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFfffffffffff great ! Yep all those settings and sooooooo much to shoot. Nice series Kim.
04-18-2008, 02:42 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Really nice Kim, I actually like the 2nd the bestest

04-18-2008, 03:31 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice 3D look! The next trick is to pay very close attention to foreground/background contrasts and find just the right perspective from which to snap the little flowers. I am working on this myself... never thought I'd be a flower guy, but the structures and geometry can be cool.
04-18-2008, 07:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Nice series Kim. I like the composition of 1 but wonder if it would have been even better if you could have included the whole of the top flower. Like 2 the best; vibrant colours and a really nice composition.

Paul
04-18-2008, 09:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Kim -- care to share the advice/info you received? It must have been really, really good (and Stu is very knowledgable person) because these pics are terrific.

04-18-2008, 01:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well done, Kim. All very nice shots, particularly love the colours of #3
Keep up the good work!
04-18-2008, 02:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by rmtagg Quote
YAY! Kim great pics It really does make a difference doesn't it
Thanks Rosemary... It is amazing how much difference it makes... the options are truely endless...

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFfffffffffff great ! Yep all those settings and sooooooo much to shoot. Nice series Kim.
Thanks Dave... Having soooooooo much to shoot. is a good thing .. ... Practice makes perfect!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by thomasjmpark Quote
Really nice Kim, I actually like the 2nd the bestest
Thanks Tom.. I am found of #2 as well... For one the flowers are soo tiny to the naked eye you would never know they are actually daisy like.. and two.. they simply and bright..

They are the BESTEST .. . aren't they??? (isn't that a GREAT word.. bestest).. Thank goodness I am not an english teacher... LOL

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Nice 3D look! The next trick is to pay very close attention to foreground/background contrasts and find just the right perspective from which to snap the little flowers. I am working on this myself... never thought I'd be a flower guy, but the structures and geometry can be cool.

Thanks rparmar for the great tip. It is truely overwelming at all the things that go into a GREAT picture, and to think about a year ago I figured a pic was a pic... boy did I have it wrong.. Its is truely a piece of art....

I didn't think I would like taking flowers pics either, but the challenge I do Love!!!

Kim
04-18-2008, 03:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the kind words..

QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
Nice series Kim. I like the composition of 1 but wonder if it would have been even better if you could have included the whole of the top flower. Like 2 the best; vibrant colours and a really nice composition. Paul
Thanks Paul.. as I mentioned #2 is one of my favorites... #3 though has always jumped out at me. I do have one of #1 with the whole branch.. but it didn't come out as clear and sharp as this one did... But thanks for thought..

When I was taking these I was truely just concentrating on the f stop feature. So next time I can start looking at the "whole" picture..

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Kim -- care to share the advice/info you received? It must have been really, really good (and Stu is very knowledgable person) because these pics are terrific.
Stu is the BESTEST!!! He pointed me to where I actually change my fstop value. I was thinking it should be somewhere in my menu (I hate reading manuals).. and well .. I was wrong.... So I finally swallowed my pride (becuase I knew it had to be easy) and asked Stu where I could do this on my camera.. well it is as easy as turning the little dial on the upper right corner of the camer in AV mode.... and he didn't even laugh at my stupid question!!!!! What a guy!!!

He also added that many people when taking Macro's use higher fstop values, so I took it from there.. and experimented with almost every setting...

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Well done, Kim. All very nice shots, particularly love the colours of #3 Keep up the good work!
Thanks Bruce.. I am glad that you enjoyed them!!! I have tried to pic an actualy favorite of the three and everytime I look at them I pick a different one!! lol
04-18-2008, 06:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

They're looking Great Kim
I'm sure that everyone here will agree with me when I say that you have got to be one of the fastest improving photographers here.

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
(and Stu is very knowledgable person)
Stu just does a good job faking it

I'm probably the only person here who's never read past page 4 in any photographic book, magazine, or even through a full article.
I just try different things, and see what works for me
04-18-2008, 06:19 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, Kim, these are wonderful. It's always good to listen to Stu (Little Laker).

Jer
04-18-2008, 06:33 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, great series. Excellent work. You continue to put that new macro lens to good use.
04-18-2008, 06:48 PM   #14
Igilligan

Nice shots Kim, you have entered the world of Macro F-stop decisions... no shot will ever be as easy again... open it up to get the best OOF area, or close it down to get it sharper with more DOF... what to do, what to do? Oh and then you have to try and get the best angle to get the most pleasing background.... what to do........... haha

For the bugs I stop her down... but for flowers the choices are many...

My fave is your third one... the colors are really nice
04-18-2008, 07:16 PM   #15
Veteran Member

great series there kim,...been a pleasure watching your images come to life......you are really beginning to master that camera..................keep clicking !