Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Samburu Village
Lens: Sigma 18~250 Camera: K3 Photo Location: Kenya 
Posted By: WPRESTO, 03-10-2014, 07:19 AM

Pictures taken at a Samburu village in Kenya last month (FYI: The Samburu people are closely related to the Masai). They danced for us, and the children from the school came out and did recitations and songs. I particularly like the loving expression on the "headman" (senior "elder") as he looks at the children.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 10-29-2014 at 04:17 AM.
Views: 847
03-10-2014, 07:24 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Simply delightful series - I dig the bright colors juxtaposed against a rather barren-looking background. Amazing community.

Jer
03-10-2014, 07:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Wonderful series on the tribe. Those colors are, like Jer said, stand outs from the background. Thanks for sharing these.
03-10-2014, 08:53 AM   #4
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Really showing the bright colours and wonderful bead works used for festive occasions. Thanks for taking us with you

03-10-2014, 10:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Some great pictures here. I really liked the second to last… a little different from our first grade class photo! Fascinating to see life in other lands.
03-10-2014, 11:41 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for kind comments. The children were impossibly delightful. The headman afterward requested donations for a new school building, and I for one opened my wallet. BTW, One of our tour group was obliged to use the outhouse that serviced the school. Would not under any circumstances want to repeat the experience. No such thing as either electricity or running water, despite those absurd IBM ads showing people entering stick-mud-cow dung huts such as these and communicating with folks in the USA. BUT, cells phones were ubiquitous.

Aside from the wonderful colors - the men have an air of quiet self-assurance and casual dignity, and the women, seen far afield in other contexts, are like coming across a beautiful flower just opened in a dismal forest.