Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  
Old Wood in a former sea
Posted By: Fries, 03-10-2014, 04:32 PM

This is a site I have photographed a few times before. It is in the IJsselmeer which is now our biggest lake, but used to be a sea before we cut if off from the tides and the salty water. The building in some of the photo's is a former paviljoen for baders. For some of these photo's I used waders and the temperature dropped below zero celsius when I entered the water in the morning. I thought it was worthwhile and I hope you do too. The wood in the photo's is what remains of a old sea defense. Enjoy!

Cheers,

Remco

5. From a bit further out in the lake

Last edited by Fries; 03-10-2014 at 11:49 PM.
Views: 1,110
03-12-2014, 06:13 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I'm a fly fishermen with a thing for Scandinavian rivers and lakes

Brother! You wouldn't happen to be related to the great Danish bamboo rodmaker, Bjarne Fries, would you?

At any rate, I admire your ability to juggle two technically demanding (not to mention potentially expensive) pursuits.

03-12-2014, 06:33 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
It is in the IJsselmeer which is now our biggest lake, but used to be a sea before we cut if off from the tides and the salty water.

Given global warming it may well end up being part of the sea once again.
I wonder what the future holds for the Netherlands?
03-13-2014, 05:17 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
[/COLOR]

Brother! You wouldn't happen to be related to the great Danish bamboo rodmaker, Bjarne Fries, would you?

At any rate, I admire your ability to juggle two technically demanding (not to mention potentially expensive) pursuits.[/LEFT]
No relation to Bjarne Fries I am afraid and I haven't contemplated buying any more fly fishing rods after I bought three American, carbon, fly fishing rods by Sage. So no split cane rods in my collection and I'd rather spend my money on trips to special places up north than on 'stuff'. And fly fishing may be somewhat challenging but I've been stuck at a comfortable level for some years now where I can deliver my fly in a reasonable fashion to a fish. But I am by no means a very good fly fishermen. I don't even tie most of my own flies due to time constraints and a small handicap which makes it difficult to accurately carry out very fine movements. You should see my handwriting! Back when I was a newspaper journalist I alway's had to use my notes rather quickly before a fading memory and my bad handwriting made it almost impossible to reconstruct what I was writing about.

And my nick Fries is derived from the province I was born and still am living; Friesland (Fryslân in the Frisian language). In some parts of northern Germany and Denmark there are still traces of the Frisian language alive and I've been told that the Frisian people once lived on the coast from northern France to Denmark so in that way Bjarne and I might be related in some way.

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Given global warming it may well end up being part of the sea once again.
I wonder what the future holds for the Netherlands?
Hi Wildman thanks for your concern but we are well aware of the consequences of the rising sea levels and are devising way's to combat that. Although we are still stupid enough to extract natural gas from under the sea at our coast which does mean we risk the seabed caving in a bit... We can build higher dikes (and we do) but we already have a problem with salty water creeping under the dikes which makes the lives of some farmers in the coastal area a bit more difficult. We are experimenting with potato species that thrive under these conditions though. Another strategy is to restore the coastal wetlands in order to build a natural buffer. I am kind of specialized in reporting on the nature in my part of the country (I'm a radio&tv reporter) and we do notice that higher tides destroying the nests of rare coastal birds are becoming a alarming trend.
« young eagle | Leaf »