Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Who Needs W/R?
Lens: DA 18-55 W/R Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Downtown Denver, Co. ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: rbefly, 03-11-2014, 05:37 PM

You know those quick little 'Spring" storms? Nasty for a while, then they depart as fast as they came in.
In-between, it's nice to have W/R. Those big, sloppy flakes stuck to everything and then the wind blew them into unlikely, shadow-like patterns.
Great fun, if you're dressed for it and have the right gear. This is why I bought this lens!
A couple notes, most info is on the EXIF. My beginning ISO was 80, but that didn't work out too well. The shutter speeds on the first two photos are 1/60s and 1/25s...duh. Those are the sharp ones, you should see the rest.
Up to ISO 400 and things got easier, 1/200s or so at f/5.6, all focal lengths are in the 20-35mm range.
Camera and lens are fine, some of the spots on the photos look like dust but the sensor's clean.
Took about 80 frames in 1-1/2 hours, here's five.
Thanks for looking!
Ron

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 762
03-12-2014, 04:40 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some nice captures of mother nature at work- I like it.
03-12-2014, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
really like the last composition... dear lord.... can not wait for spring ! dave m
03-12-2014, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Nice job in capturing the falling snow Ron. We get the stuff so infrequently that when it came this year I gave it a try but couldn't get the snow to look like anything but blur. Good job on these.

03-12-2014, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Just looking makes me shiver, great captures makes me appreciate this weather a bit more. Well I'm off to the beach to give the dogs a run.
03-13-2014, 06:06 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

I also love shooting in this type of weather. As you showed, it makes for some unusual and interesting images. Very nice!! My K-5 is WR but most of my lenses are not. I end up shooting from under an umbrella. I set the tripod and camera, and then lift the umbrella for the few seconds it takes to get the photo, and then I dry off the moisture. Pain in the butt. This looks like a nice lens. I love the city colours you captured and really nice tones too.
03-13-2014, 06:06 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
really like the last composition... dear lord.... can not wait for spring ! dave m
Me too, Ron. Great shot, but I must confess being grateful that it was you (and not me) standing out there doing the photographing .

Jer

03-13-2014, 08:07 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks, All!

Thanks to Dave, Dave m, Susan, Ed, Tess and Jer, I appreciate the kind words.
Tess, this lens has turned out to be a $100 bargain! I found it on eBay, from Hawaii, very good condition, too. It's made me more adventurous in any weather and is small enough to take 'just in case'.
Sure, I'm a prime-shooter, and except for conditions like this (or worse!) I'll still use them. But the kit lens works, if you stay away from the well-known weak areas.
That umbrella idea sounds like it could work, but in the wind we had it would be a handful. Thanks for the comments about the colors and tone, I tried to slightly desaturate the colors, the kit lens tends to make them too vivid for some scenes, like these.
Ron