Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
FA 77/1.8 - A Ridiculous Redundancy
Lens: duh . . . FA 77 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Lake Jackson, TX ISO: 100 
Posted By: Sailor, 03-13-2014, 07:57 PM

As soon as the DA 70 Limited was introduced several years ago, I bought one and have thoroughly enjoyed it ever since. However, after my wife handed me an FA 31 Limited (which I adore like my first Mustang in 1964) on Christmas morning, I started to mull the idea of an FA 77 - something I require about as much as I need a lacrosse rule book. So, when B&H offered the 77 for about 800 smackers last week, I found myself ordering one . UPS delivered it last evening and now I report my experience after a whole 24 hours of ownership.

In general, I'm positive. I have little interest in "testing" lenses, but I did compare the sharpness of the the 77 and my 70 by mimicking the qualitative technique employed by PF in its evaluation of the two lenses (I used a flat, membrane microwave keypad rather than a focusing chart as a target). My observations mirror those of PF; the 77 is slightly but noticeably sharper down to about f/4, although "real world" difference under most circumstances is debatable. Also, I'm finding that the blurred, out-of-focus areas of photos shot with the 77 are more homogenous and delineate the in-focus subject with greater clarity - to me, a bit more satisfying. Finally, AF feels quicker and more resolute with the 77, especially in low light. On the other hand, the 77 is twice as heavy as a 70, and I dislike weight in lenses as much as I hate it in sports cars. Even so, based on my very limited experience (no pun intended) with my FA 77, I think it is - save for my FA 31 - probably the best AF lens I own (including my 5 DA Limited primes). The lens is, at the very least, the optical equivalent of my 70 and offers the modest advantages of somewhat higher speed, marginally longer reach and, as I mentioned, snappier AF. My only misgivings: I'm not quite seeing that ephemeral and undefinable "magic" with the 77 that I picked up in the first 5 frames shot with my 31 - but hell, that's all mystical mumbo jumbo, anyway .

Below are seven photos I took with the 77 this warm, sunny afternoon. None are keepers, but they represent the kind of photography I do 60 - 80% of the time. I'm keeping the 77, but my DA 70 (along with my other DA Limiteds) won't be retired; it'll come into action when I travel or when I need to lug my kit around for several hours.

Jer

Power Pole for Bob (f/8, 1/180):

Tanks (f/8, 1/500):

My Little Hot Rod (f/8, 1/180):

Park Pavilion (f/8, 1/250):

Brutally-Cropped Egret (f/8, 1/250):

Botanical Arch (f/5.6, 1/250):

Magnolia Leaf (f/2, 1/1500):

Views: 2,060
03-13-2014, 10:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It does take some really good shots. A question: How come you don't have a Yellow Rose on your number plate???????????
03-13-2014, 10:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great lens Jer, but I love my 70 ltd, so I can't see why I would get a 77ltd? Just wondering if you can see a big difference between the two and running the plate on the BMW like you are, will you get a ticket?
03-13-2014, 10:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for sharing the first impressions, my friend!
You know, english is a great language ... "I found myself ordering one" is hard to translate into german
I still hope to find myself ordering a 645D sometimes!
Have fun with the lens,

03-14-2014, 03:09 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Perhaps Bob can explain what this netting wrapped around the pole is all about. Never seen this before and we have a lot of wooden poles in Oz.

Greetings

03-14-2014, 05:16 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I also own both lenses and while I do like the 70 I definitely prefer the 77 when it comes to shooting people. I just prefer the more classic rendering the 77 provides as to my eye it just seems to have more character and subtle nuances which is something I find to be true of all the FA Limiteds.
03-14-2014, 05:54 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Find some humans and capture their faces. Then you will believe in pixie dust.

03-14-2014, 05:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Congrats on the new lens Jer. I have the DA 70/2.4 as well but I'll admit I've been tempted to order the FA 77 from time to time. Threatening looks from my bride have kept me from doing so - at least so far. Have fun with it Jer. For the moment I'll live vicariously thorough your images.

Tom G
03-14-2014, 06:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Was scrolling down to say the same thing.
03-14-2014, 06:02 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
Yes, agreed!
03-14-2014, 06:32 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Perhaps Bob can explain what this netting wrapped around the pole is all about. Never seen this before and we have a lot of wooden poles in Oz.

Greetings

I always assumed it was to keep the woodpeckers from "drilling" the poles to pieces - but I defer to Bob for the real answer.....

Tim
03-14-2014, 07:03 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Glad to see you have a new toy to keep you out of trouble Jer. If you ever tire of your old toys, I will send you my address.
03-14-2014, 11:03 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Greetings

QuoteOriginally posted by UpNorth Quote
I always assumed it was to keep the woodpeckers from "drilling" the poles to pieces - but I defer to Bob for the real answer.....

Tim
I wondered about that also and was waiting for Jer to respond to ask if all poles were wrapped like this or maybe just this particular one. Most distribution poles like this are creosote coated to protect from what you're talking about Tim.
03-14-2014, 11:07 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

interesting series jer.....i don't have any of those stunning pentax primes.... (well, i have a da 40mm f2.8, but somewhere along the line it broke)...
the clarity/definition and colors these produce are fantastic...... dave m
03-14-2014, 03:51 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
It does take some really good shots. A question: How come you don't have a Yellow Rose on your number plate???????????
Thanks much, EM - I'm liking what I see, although the DA 70 is a wonderful lens and buying the FA 77 - even at a discounted price - makes no sense. But, although most of what we do must be rational, it's fun to do something occasionally just because you want to.

The reason I don't have a yellow rose on the plate: I'm a Yankee not native to Texas and thus am forbidden by law from being able to acquire Yellow Rose Plates - sad, since these plates would add real class to my Porsche .

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Great lens Jer, but I love my 70 ltd, so I can't see why I would get a 77ltd? Just wondering if you can see a big difference between the two and running the plate on the BMW like you are, will you get a ticket?
I love my 70 too, brother Bob, and I can't give you one good reason why either of us should buy an FA 77. However, after a couple of days with the FA 77, I'm truly enjoying the images that the 77 produces - not better than the 70 but different in a fascinating way. I will readily admit the purchase didn't make much sense, but - at the same time - I'm suffering no buyer's remorse .

I caved on the BMW and had the dealer install the front plate bracket when I took it in for routine service a few months ago . For now, I'm doing nothing with the Boxster S, and I'll see what happens. Eventually, at the suggestion of some Forum members, I'll buy one of the removable plate frames that uses the tow-bolt socket behind the front bumper cover. One of these gadgets will allow me to be legal without drilling holes in the bumper, which is simply unacceptable .

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
Thanks for sharing the first impressions, my friend!
You know, english is a great language ... "I found myself ordering one" is hard to translate into german
I still hope to find myself ordering a 645D sometimes!
Have fun with the lens,
Hey Norbert, thanks buddy. To "find yourself doing something" means that the rational portion of your brain has discovered your brain's emotive portion is pulling off some dumb stunt when it's too late to stop it. I hope you find yourself buying that 645D too!

When's the top come down on your roadster?

Jer

---------- Post added 03-14-2014 at 07:54 PM ----------

Greetings

QuoteOriginally posted by UpNorth Quote

Tim
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I wondered about that also and was waiting for Jer to respond to ask if all poles were wrapped like this or maybe just this particular one. Most distribution poles like this are creosote coated to protect from what you're talking about Tim.
Guys and Bob, I don't remember ever seeing something like this around here before. When I opened the converted DNG file I thought it was corrupted and only until I expanded the image in Aperture that I realized what I was seeing.

Jer

---------- Post added 03-14-2014 at 08:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
I also own both lenses and while I do like the 70 I definitely prefer the 77 when it comes to shooting people. I just prefer the more classic rendering the 77 provides as to my eye it just seems to have more character and subtle nuances which is something I find to be true of all the FA Limiteds.
QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Yes, agreed!
Guys, I don't believe in "pixie dust", but I do know that two lens designs of similar FL and speed will vary optically and render images with slightly different characteristics of color and contrast. While these differences may be subtle, they can be profoundly important to how we "see" a photo, and I can tell you that after another day with the FA 77 I'm liking what I see a great deal - although I'm not knocked out with it to the extent I have been with my FA 31. Still, the 77 seems to be a real gem, I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Jer

---------- Post added 03-14-2014 at 08:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Congrats on the new lens Jer. I have the DA 70/2.4 as well but I'll admit I've been tempted to order the FA 77 from time to time. Threatening looks from my bride have kept me from doing so - at least so far. Have fun with it Jer. For the moment I'll live vicariously thorough your images.

Tom G
Hey Tom - thanks buddy. That 70 is an amazing lens and I'm sure keeping mine. It'll be interesting in discovering which - my 70 or 77 - I'll use more often.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Glad to see you have a new toy to keep you out of trouble Jer. If you ever tire of your old toys, I will send you my address.
Thanks, Susan - having both the 70 and 77 is crazy, but . . . . as I think I mentioned to you before . . . . . . . if we were weren't a bit crazy we'd all go nuts.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
interesting series jer.....i don't have any of those stunning pentax primes.... (well, i have a da 40mm f2.8, but somewhere along the line it broke)...
the clarity/definition and colors these produce are fantastic...... dave m
Hey, buddy thanks for the comments.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 03-14-2014 at 04:19 PM.