Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
White Orchid
Lens: 55-300mm Camera: Pentax K-5 ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/15s Aperture: F6.7 
Posted By: marianne.sharp, 03-17-2014, 01:24 PM

Taken at an orchid display in our local zoo. Manual, no flash, tripod.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 595
03-17-2014, 03:34 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice composition but not quite sharp in focus. I notice you had a very slow shutter speed so camera shake may have occurred during the shot, IMHO, I would increase your shutter speed from 160/per sec or above. Mine is usually set on 200 or 250/per sec.
03-17-2014, 10:08 PM   #3
Forum Member

Composition is good.. At 300mm @ F7.1 the DOF is narrow too. It appears as if the focus is on the bottom right petal. If you are wanting the entire flow in focus you will need to close down the aperture and even then you might end up without enough DOF, in which case you will have to focus stack the image.
Increase shutter speed as Eaglem has suggested as there is some motion blur too.. But at 300m it can be hard even at high shutter speeds to some blur unless you have good technique. Tripod is you best tool..

---------- Post added 03-18-2014 at 04:12 PM ----------

DOF is also very narrow. At 300mm f7.1 at close range the DOF is very narrow.. It appears you have focus on the bottom right petal. Even that has some blur.. If your after the entire flower in shot you may have to close down the aperture to something like F22 or higher.. Even then you might be missing part of the flower, in which case focus stacking is your friend.

Tripod will be your best tool at 300mm if the faster shutter speed doesnt work.
03-17-2014, 11:09 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by atomx Quote
Composition is good.. At 300mm @ F7.1 the DOF is narrow too. It appears as if the focus is on the bottom right petal. If you are wanting the entire flow in focus you will need to close down the aperture and even then you might end up without enough DOF, in which case you will have to focus stack the image.
Increase shutter speed as Eaglem has suggested as there is some motion blur too.. But at 300m it can be hard even at high shutter speeds to some blur unless you have good technique. Tripod is you best tool..

---------- Post added 03-18-2014 at 04:12 PM ----------

DOF is also very narrow. At 300mm f7.1 at close range the DOF is very narrow.. It appears you have focus on the bottom right petal. Even that has some blur.. If your after the entire flower in shot you may have to close down the aperture to something like F22 or higher.. Even then you might be missing part of the flower, in which case focus stacking is your friend.

Tripod will be your best tool at 300mm if the faster shutter speed doesnt work.
They said they used a tripod ?

Great photo looks great ^_^.

03-18-2014, 02:29 AM   #5
Forum Member

oops... So they did... I just went straight to the exif data and scanned over the important details ....
03-18-2014, 11:40 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Orchid

Thanks for the info! I did use a tripod, but should have upped the shutter speed as well. I have trouble sometimes getting the focus exactly where I want it and still learning the DOF on this lens. I don't use it that often, as it is so heavy, but decided to make the trip to the orchid show for some practice.
07-24-2018, 11:41 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by marianne.sharp Quote
Taken at an orchid display in our local zoo. Manual, no flash, tripod.
lovely flower! nice one!