Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Street Panos, A Different Crop Format?
Posted By: rbefly, 03-18-2014, 02:47 PM

Hello All!
I'm trying a new compositional format, a wider, but less tall layout. This is mainly for scenes that have a lot of detail (in this case, faces) in the vertical center, but not much going on above or below the horizontal midline. Is this simply a panorama? I call it 'Stretch' format.
And I also wanted a normal perspective, no 'lens' effect, wrap-around or other optically-induced distortion. As if you were scanning a scene.
Here, the top-and-bottom stuff isn't very compelling, it's the people. We always look at the people.
But, cropping a strip across the middle of a 1:2 format file takes a big chunk of the data with it. So I've used low-ISO, stopped-down, sharp primes, CPL when possible. Still makes for some slightly noisy, messy and less-saturated photos, so far.
That's OK, it's an idea, something to fool with. If you find a scene with lots happening across the screen, try it! It's an easy crop. I've included photos posted before, but with the new crop, also.
I've posted (roughly) 1:3, 1:4, and one that's a bit of compromise, 1:2.5. Focal lengths have been 24mm, 35mm (my favorite), 28mm and one with the M85, lots of chromatic aberration with that frame, forgot the green button but liked the capture. The night, bar B + W is the only high ISO shot.
In PP, I start with 1:2 and go to 'free hand', remove everything lacking a pulse from the top-and-bottom and try to find a natural looking border on each end.
C + C welcome!
Ron

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Views: 1,718
03-19-2014, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Really enjoyed looking at these. The crop works really well and makes me feel that I am in the crowd and not just looking at it.

03-19-2014, 12:45 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
And...More!

Hi Tess, thank you for the words of encouragement, that means a lot. Especially from someone with a great eye!
Thanks, Susan! I appreciate your kind comments and highly respect your opinion.
Hello Wombat, it's funny that you mention Cinamascope, this idea does remind me of the constant head-swiveling motion needed to take everything in! But I think it's OK to have several points of interest in a scene, lengthwise. If they're each interesting and placed properly within the composition, that is.
I've looked at many true panorama scenes, most, as you mentioned, stitched. For stills of non-moving subjects (AKA scenics and landscapes), they're great.
But street photography is about movement and capturing a decisive moment, even a split-second. That and (usually) moving, unpredictable...people. So, I don't know if stitching can work as well in this application as shooting 'from the hip'.
When the scene + activity seems right, raise the camera, check the framing, focus lock, blast off 5-10 frames as fast as possible. That's it!
The rest is sorting, cropping and PP.
It's nice to have choices, on the 5th shot above (riverfront), I also have a frame with the baby's foot a bit higher and another with the foot nearly touching the path. Same for the ice-skating scene, I shot dozens there, plenty of choices for the maximum action, placement and face clarity. I don't consider this really 'spray and pray' because I'm looking for a certain combination of subject elements that are beyond my control.
Hope this spurs some creative cropping!
Ron
03-19-2014, 01:33 PM   #18
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I wonder if, when 3:2 was initially adopted, it was for practical/mechanical reasons, or if it was for aesthetics. 3:2 is quite close to 1:1.618.
03-19-2014, 03:09 PM   #19
Veteran Member

You guys have got me enthused about the wide format.
I will have to get on Apug and see what options for a 6 x 12 rollfilm back for the Fujii 400H on the 4 x 5 Speed.
The only lens I have to cover that is the Graphex 135mm.

03-23-2014, 01:22 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Liked your cropping as I saw the originals, this is big improvement on them
03-25-2014, 01:13 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I enjoyed those pictures a lot. And interestingly, I've also started doing something similar, but usually with my Tokina 19-35.