Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Wild Flower - Pushing the Envelope
Lens: FA 31/1.8 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Lake Jackson, TX ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/750s Aperture: F4 
Posted By: Sailor, 03-18-2014, 08:42 PM

After a couple of previous positive experiences in aggressively cropping images produced by my K-3, I continue to throw caution to the wind () in this regard. This photo of a wildflower was truly one of those snapshots you hate yourself for taking but do it anyway; in this case, the composition wasn't a composition at all, and I didn't adjust exposure to account for the high brightness of the little flower against the relative dark background (see last pic). To add to this offensive behavior, I cropped the thing with a fiendish lack of mercy and - to add insult to this injury - I converted this pretty yellow guy to B&W - the first photo below. The second pic is the same crop but PP'd in color, and the final image is the original. Confession is good for the soul.

Jer






Views: 613
03-18-2014, 08:48 PM   #2
MSL
Pentaxian
MSL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Greater Toronto Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,518
And these photos are a great confessional for the capabilities of the K3. Nothing to be embarrassed about here. Also a useful tutorial on why cropping matters and how an image can change by the context of what is in the surroundings.
03-18-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
wtlwdwgn's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Billings, MT
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,797
Veddy interesting. It's a good example of B&W rendering of colors which is not something always remembered during conversions. Excellent image.
03-18-2014, 08:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Bob Harris's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canon City, Colorado
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,473
Buddy, I dig that narrative more than the photos. love the b/w though.

03-19-2014, 05:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member
tessfully's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: S. Algonquin, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,855
Awesome!!!! First, I love square frames with roundish flowers centred. Second, the lighting is absolutely gorgeous for this black and white conversation. And the details of the stamens and ragged little petal ends adds layers, texture and detail. Your confession is a lesson well received!
03-19-2014, 07:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Scott Depot, WV
Posts: 1,240
Nice series and narrative, Jer.
03-19-2014, 07:17 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
slowpez's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 18,037
Sorry Jer, but you should be ashamed. I have such camera envy now. The flower is so tiny, framed perfectly and the crop is so well done. The B&W is beautifully rendered and it is not easy taking color away from a flower and make it look better than mom nature did.
03-19-2014, 01:46 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 21,109
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
And these photos are a great confessional for the capabilities of the K3. Nothing to be embarrassed about here. Also a useful tutorial on why cropping matters and how an image can change by the context of what is in the surroundings.
Thanks, MSL. I learned a lot from this little exercise - about cropping and how to rescue a bit of slight over exposure with Aperture.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Veddy interesting. It's a good example of B&W rendering of colors which is not something always remembered during conversions. Excellent image.
Thank you!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Buddy, I dig that narrative more than the photos. love the b/w though.
Always appreciate your comments, brother Bob.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Awesome!!!! First, I love square frames with roundish flowers centred. Second, the lighting is absolutely gorgeous for this black and white conversation. And the details of the stamens and ragged little petal ends adds layers, texture and detail. Your confession is a lesson well received!
What kind words, Tess. Thanks very much.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by TonyTurley Quote
Nice series and narrative, Jer.
Tony, thanks much.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Sorry Jer, but you should be ashamed. I have such camera envy now. The flower is so tiny, framed perfectly and the crop is so well done. The B&W is beautifully rendered and it is not easy taking color away from a flower and make it look better than mom nature did.
I sure appreciate the very nice words, Susan . They sure make me feel good.

Jer

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, composition, flower, photo, pic
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Landscape Wild flower meadow gramar Post Your Photos! 3 08-02-2018 12:17 PM
Nature Kings Park Wild Flower Display tootall Post Your Photos! 12 09-02-2013 09:09 AM
Nature Indian blanket flower in wild field. yurikr Post Your Photos! 5 09-23-2012 09:24 AM
Nature WIld Flower Bruce Clark Post Your Photos! 10 05-31-2012 10:07 AM
Wild purple flower and the sun... GLThorne Post Your Photos! 8 02-24-2007 10:30 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:40 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top