Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  
Finger Lakes, NY Waterfalls
Posted By: hobkyl, 03-20-2014, 03:33 AM

Inspired by slowpez, I wanted to share some of my falls photos. Waterfalls are the subject that really got me into photography to begin with. Living in the Finger Lakes region, I am surrounded by dozens of waterfalls, and 100s if I travel to the other parts of the state. Each year I find I never grow tired of seeking new falls and capturing them-whereas other subjects sometimes lose my interest.

Views: 1,940
03-20-2014, 08:43 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice.... we have to start a list of places like this, every time I see this kind of image I think, "I should go there." Maybe someone should be organizing the Pentax forum year long photography road trip hitting all the hot spots in a big ole hippy bus.. Naw, we'd all be fighting for the best spots to put our cameras, bad idea.

03-20-2014, 08:47 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Yeah, that's where you can see all the falls that are on private property

A lot of places that were accessible before NYFalls started telling people about them are posted now.
You believe so? I haven't found that to hold true for the western portion of the area. I personally contributed to their information and have found it to be a great resource as I sought out new falls to photograph. Mind you anyone with a computer can use satellite imagery to find new falls. The members there are very respectful of private property. Folks who intend to utilize the falls area for purposes other than photographing (ie: partying) are the most likely culprit of property becoming posted and in that case IMO didn't learn of the falls via that website but from elsewhere. Just my 2 cents.
03-20-2014, 09:10 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hobkyl Quote
You believe so? I haven't found that to hold true for the western portion of the area. I personally contributed to their information and have found it to be a great resource as I sought out new falls to photograph. Mind you anyone with a computer can use satellite imagery to find new falls. The members there are very respectful of private property. Folks who intend to utilize the falls area for purposes other than photographing (ie: partying) are the most likely culprit of property becoming posted and in that case IMO didn't learn of the falls via that website but from elsewhere. Just my 2 cents.
In the case of Onondaga County it is probably the fault of the Onondaga Adventure club. Before NyFalls there might be a few visitors per year. All of the sudden fifty people show up at the same time...

There are at least 5 falls that used to be accessible and now are posted...

There are better accessible falls in Cayuga, Cortland, and Madison County so it really doesn't matter.
03-20-2014, 09:11 AM   #19

Original Poster
Thanks Susan, and thank you for inspiring me.

Letchworth is definitely worth a trip in its own. I have found deer at the base of numerous falls as well, usually in early spring. Guessing they misjudged a step or were caught on ice.

---------- Post added 03-20-14 at 12:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
In the case of Onondaga County it is probably the fault of the Onondaga Adventure club. Before NyFalls there might be a few visitors per year. All of the sudden fifty people show up at the same time...

There are at least 5 falls that used to be accessible and now are posted...

There are better accessible falls in Cayuga, Cortland, and Madison County so it really doesn't matter.
It may very well be NYFalls. Just was sharing my opinion. However, I do recall some uproar regarding that club and them taking groups of 20+ people into those areas and making a mess.

03-21-2014, 02:09 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You and Susan and your waterfalls are making me jealous When I got my Tokina 19-35 I also got an ND Filter with it, so hopefully this spring I'll have something to share

Great pictures, all of them. Good job with that 16-45!