Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Finger Lakes, NY Waterfalls
Lens: 16-45 Camera: Kx, and K30 Photo Location: Finger Lakes, NY 
Posted By: hobkyl, 03-20-2014, 03:33 AM

Inspired by slowpez, I wanted to share some of my falls photos. Waterfalls are the subject that really got me into photography to begin with. Living in the Finger Lakes region, I am surrounded by dozens of waterfalls, and 100s if I travel to the other parts of the state. Each year I find I never grow tired of seeking new falls and capturing them-whereas other subjects sometimes lose my interest.

Views: 1,941
03-20-2014, 03:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

very beautiful pictures, i hope i can visit these places someday
03-20-2014, 04:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Awesome images. nice to see water that's nod frozen again.

Tom G
03-20-2014, 05:25 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Wow, all beautiful images! Thanks for sharing!!

03-20-2014, 05:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Splendid composition. Really fine. My Dad was born in upstate New York and was a civil engineer via Cornell, Class of '32. What is your favored Pentax kit for this work?
03-20-2014, 06:38 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
Splendid composition. Really fine. My Dad was born in upstate New York and was a civil engineer via Cornell, Class of '32. What is your favored Pentax kit for this work?
Thus far the only lens I have had the pleasure to use is the 16-45 on both the Kx and K30. I am looking to change to a Sig 10-20, or Tam 10-24 this year and hope the IQ improves just a tad.
03-20-2014, 06:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Wonderful compostions on these...the second, especially, seems perfect to me. It seems as if you had enough canopy/shade to be able to work with a single exposure (vs. HDR), but I would be curious if you what kind of approach you took to post processing these.

At any rate, that's a beautiful part of the world--my wife and I spent a summer at Cornell a few years back and had a grand time...(of course, "Fall" Creek runs right through Ithaca, though its falls were nowhere near as impressive as, say, Taughannock Falls.)

03-20-2014, 07:04 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We have a few nice falls in Onondaga county. Unfortunately most of them are on private property.

Pratt's Falls is a county park and the only one not on private property. Rattlesnake Gulf has several falls that are accessible for a fee. Three Falls Woods is owned by a developer. The town has resisted letting him develop, but he won't sell the property to the town or a land trust.
03-20-2014, 07:10 AM   #9

Incredible... very beautiful pics
Compliments!
03-20-2014, 07:21 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
We have a few nice falls in Onondaga county. Unfortunately most of them are on private property.

Pratt's Falls is a county park and the only one not on private property. Rattlesnake Gulf has several falls that are accessible for a fee. Three Falls Woods is owned by a developer. The town has resisted letting him develop, but he won't sell the property to the town or a land trust.
I've visited both Pratt's and Rattlesnake, however just as I was finding my interest in photography. There's some great falls I've seen photos of from your county, including Fellows, and Emerson. NYFalls.com is a great resource for falls in your area as well across the state if your interested.
03-20-2014, 07:42 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hobkyl Quote
I've visited both Pratt's and Rattlesnake, however just as I was finding my interest in photography. There's some great falls I've seen photos of from your county, including Fellows, and Emerson. NYFalls.com is a great resource for falls in your area as well across the state if your interested.
Yeah, that's where you can see all the falls that are on private property

A lot of places that were accessible before NYFalls started telling people about them are posted now.

Last edited by boriscleto; 03-20-2014 at 07:49 AM.
03-20-2014, 08:02 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Wonderful compostions on these...the second, especially, seems perfect to me. It seems as if you had enough canopy/shade to be able to work with a single exposure (vs. HDR), but I would be curious if you what kind of approach you took to post processing these.

At any rate, that's a beautiful part of the world--my wife and I spent a summer at Cornell a few years back and had a grand time...(of course, "Fall" Creek runs right through Ithaca, though its falls were nowhere near as impressive as, say, Taughannock Falls.)
Taughannock is quite impressive, however Fall Creek holds it own IMO. Not to mention the dozens of more other falls & parks with multiple falls within. Nearly all of them accessible to the public.
03-20-2014, 08:04 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I am so glad you decided to post these. Absolutely stunning shots. The hint of fall color in the last one makes me want to see from that time of year. I like the ss speed you used on these too.
03-20-2014, 08:08 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
I am so glad you decided to post these. Absolutely stunning shots. The hint of fall color in the last one makes me want to see from that time of year. I like the ss speed you used on these too.
Fall is the time to come to NY. Letchworth in the fall is worth a trip all on its own.
03-20-2014, 08:20 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Fall is the time to come to NY. Letchworth in the fall is worth a trip all on its own.
We spent quite a bit of time at Letchworth. Impressive falls for sure. Got home and found a dead bloated deer in all the shots I took. Evidently fell trying to cross and landed on a ledge just below the top. Spent quite a bit of time cloning the poor thing out.