Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
some of my best... use of light... hope K10 can do as well :)
Posted By: slip, 01-23-2007, 07:30 PM

Hi everyone. I seem to do a lot of talking without showing any of my work. here are some of my better ones when I could afford film.
any CC much appreciated. I enjoy the lighting more then the compostion on most.

all the photos have been scanned with a dedicated film/slide scanner at 4000dpi and 42 bit color. of course they can't be that size for the web
all are straight out of the scanner, no PP except for some sharpening as some was lost during optimization for the web

this first one was shot last fall.
shutter speed 4-7 seconds, F16

this one is shot at the same location. aprox same shutter speeds but the f-stop was F8

A photo from the early 90's in my former backyard. shutter and f-stops unknown

Back to last fall in same location...

this one if from last fall but this time in a wetland area. late oct '06

this river shot was taken sometimes in the '90's. It is also one of my favourate fly fishing spots. unfortunatley it comes from a poor origanal

oct '06 on the side of a road

early '90's in a bush not far from home. taken from a poor copy of the original.

early 90's in the same backyard

this is awenda provincial park about 13 miles from home. unfortunatly the original is on a hard drive.... my kids dropped the hard drive enclosure so it doesn't work anymore. this is a poor copy of the original

hope you like them

cheers

randy
Views: 1,614
01-23-2007, 07:43 PM   #2

Randy,
these are really nice, I especially like the first one! I can envision a nice little brookie behind each of those boulders just waiting for my Parachute Adams.

I love to fly fish around Northern CA - what type of fishing do you have in and around Ontario?

Ed
01-23-2007, 07:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I really enjoyed these Randy! The berries - that was the stunner for me. The field full of Trilliums - I have never seen so many!
01-23-2007, 07:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

#1 & 4 get thumbs up. Rest are good but those two stand out. Thanks for sharing them

01-23-2007, 08:35 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Randy,
You have some very nice pictures here. I really do like the first one, thanks for sharing.

Heinrich
01-23-2007, 09:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photodad Quote
Randy,
these are really nice, I especially like the first one! I can envision a nice little brookie behind each of those boulders just waiting for my Parachute Adams.

I love to fly fish around Northern CA - what type of fishing do you have in and around Ontario?

Ed
thanks!
unfortunately this creek is to small to support anything but small minnows but there are some brook trout a lot futher down stream.
I love to fish smaller rivers and creeks with my Orvis HLS Rocky mountain 3 weight. double taper all the way.
Parachute adams with a moose mame tail is one of my favorates in size #18. microfilibits work well too.
we had a world class brown trout tail water a couple of hours away.... you might have heard about it if you read flyfisherman magazine.... called the grand river.
I usually get there a couple of time a year.... only been "skunked" 1 out of the last 5 times.
we have some outstanding Salmon and steelhead fishing in the fall, but I am not really equiped for them. a 20 pound salmon is not uncommon during river spawning in the fall.

what type of rivers do you fish?

thanks again

randy
01-23-2007, 11:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

1, 2, 4, 5 very nice.

Composition on all of them very good.

Now the problem....focus man, focus and use your tripod. You are hurting my eyes.

You have such excellent subjects but you missed the focus and/or DOF and/or motion blur.

I think you have great shots here and I know they were scanned so I am sure there was a loss of quality on some.

I really liked the apple in the grass and tried to will it to be sharper, more detailed but it wouldn't cooperate.

Now back out there with the K10 and do it again...

By the way, while you are at it, train one of your friends to operate your new camera so he/she can get some excellent shots of you fly casting and bringing them in. Wouldn't that make some nice shots.

01-23-2007, 11:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I like the first shot. Nice and smooth water flow.
01-24-2007, 02:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

the first one is the best for me! I like it a lot!
You should just take more care on focus as Clarence said. I can sign myself under everything he wrote.
01-24-2007, 10:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
1, 2, 4, 5 very nice.

Composition on all of them very good.

Now the problem....focus man, focus and use your tripod. You are hurting my eyes.

You have such excellent subjects but you missed the focus and/or DOF and/or motion blur.

I think you have great shots here and I know they were scanned so I am sure there was a loss of quality on some.

I really liked the apple in the grass and tried to will it to be sharper, more detailed but it wouldn't cooperate.

Now back out there with the K10 and do it again...

By the way, while you are at it, train one of your friends to operate your new camera so he/she can get some excellent shots of you fly casting and bringing them in. Wouldn't that make some nice shots.
thanks clarence and others!

#3,6,8,9,10 are a lot sharper on the origanal but I could not access them. they are enlarged from a very compressed copy.
The apple shot is a bit out of focus.... darn ole' manual focus and bad eyes can do that The SR would have come in handy here as well as the shutter speed was a bit on the slow side.
I just took another look in detail in some of them and you are right about DOF it is a little shallow on some of them. I will call that inexperence on my part

thanks again

randy

Last edited by slip; 01-24-2007 at 11:48 AM.
01-24-2007, 01:13 PM   #11

Fly Fishing

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
thanks!
unfortunately this creek is to small to support anything but small minnows but there are some brook trout a lot futher down stream.
I love to fish smaller rivers and creeks with my Orvis HLS Rocky mountain 3 weight. double taper all the way.
Parachute adams with a moose mame tail is one of my favorates in size #18. microfilibits work well too.
we had a world class brown trout tail water a couple of hours away.... you might have heard about it if you read flyfisherman magazine.... called the grand river.
I usually get there a couple of time a year.... only been "skunked" 1 out of the last 5 times.
we have some outstanding Salmon and steelhead fishing in the fall, but I am not really equiped for them. a 20 pound salmon is not uncommon during river spawning in the fall.

what type of rivers do you fish?

thanks again

randy

Randy,
i live very close to the Yuba River which has been written up a bit in the big magazines (actually too much). It has very good rainbow fishing - all wild. It also has a very good run of steelhead in early fall. The upper streches have amzing rainbow, brown and brook trout fishing in a small stream environment. The Feather is also very close and it has great steelhead and salmon fishing and some trout fishing in some areas. Both rivers along with the Sacamento River have awesome striper fishing in the early spring through the late summer depending on rain/water flows etc. These are all within 30 minutes of home.

If we range out a bit, we can hit numerous small streams in the Sierra Nevada Mountains and can be at world class spring creeks - Hat Creek & Fall River in about 3 hours. We also have some really awesome stillwater fishing within that 3 hour range. The San Juaquin Delta (1100 miles of waterways!) has great striper and salmon and bass fishing. It is fantastic!!!!

I will post some pics when i can of some of our fishing.

Ed
01-24-2007, 02:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Very nice shots, Randy. I especially like the first, fourth & last shots (shame about the HD for that one). The 4th one looks like you caught some amazing detail!
01-24-2007, 07:00 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for sharing Randy, the first is a major keeper, print it at least A4 and frame it! I also really like the colors in #3.

NaCl(river fishing is OK, but I prefer saltwater! <could you guess?> )H2O +
01-24-2007, 07:28 PM   #14
Inactive Account

At me first five photos have opened only...
The composition of space of a photo is not completed...
But work was...

The best regards!

"Erased a hieroglyph"