Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Frosty Fargo
Lens: DA* 16-50 Camera: K5 iis Photo Location: Sherwood Park ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F6.7 
Posted By: daacon, 03-24-2014, 05:49 AM

As I was driving the range roads looking for an elk , fighting with a wolf while an Eagle swoops down , I spotted this and stopped to grab a snap. It's a good thing as the only wildlife I saw were a couple of rabbits running across the street

click on image twice for larger view

Views: 2,253
03-24-2014, 05:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Beautiful composition, Dave. It could be a calendar cover.
03-24-2014, 06:01 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice one, buddy - I love shots of old vehicles laid to rest and captured in situ, so to speak. Around here, we see longhorns tussling with coyotes and fending off vultures all the time - we hardly take notice.

Jer
03-24-2014, 06:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Nice one, buddy - I love shots of old vehicles laid to rest and captured in situ, so to speak. Around here, we see longhorns tussling with coyotes and fending off vultures all the time - we hardly take notice.

Jer
You Americans are so lucky to have all that Wild life, Aussies only gets snakes, spiders, poisonous jellyfish, sharks and crocodiles all the time. So hard to get good shots when they are hiding in the bushes waiting to crawl or slither out at you. Also the bloody sharks and crocs really test out the Pentax Weather Resistance.

03-24-2014, 06:54 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Ya, I here you daacon, when they track wolfs in the park one of the things they find is that about 20% of wolf deaths are caused by moose... so how come we never see these battle to the death encounters?

But that's a great looking truck... it needs someone who loves it to come along and restore it...it looks in a lot better shape than some of the restoration projects I've seen. Great capture.

And gmans called you an American.... dem's fightin words...
03-24-2014, 07:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And gmans called you an American.... dem's fightin words...
You all live in North America? The assumption is you are Americans or should have said Nth Americans.My apologies to Americans for calling Canadians Americans.

Last edited by gmans; 03-24-2014 at 07:49 AM.
03-24-2014, 07:36 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Nice picture of an old Fargo. Takes me back.

As we Canadians know...the Fargo was a Canadian Dodge truck with different badging and sold by Plymouth dealers in Canada. One of the old farm trucks I used to drive was a '48 Fargo one ton, with an accessory hydraulic lift for the truck box. We used it as a spare grain truck.

BTW, Daacon I do the same thing as you...drive back country roads looking for wildlife, landscapes and old farm vehicles put out to pasture....as photo subjects.

03-24-2014, 07:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Good Photo, by the way.
03-24-2014, 08:19 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I remember Fargo ("Fart 'n' Go") trucks. In my family we always played with the vehicle names. We were a "Shove It or Leave It" family (Chevrolet).
03-24-2014, 08:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Nice spotting and capture. Doesn't look like it had a heater but I love that it has those pizza cutter tires on it.
03-24-2014, 08:46 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Westoz Quote
Nice spotting and capture. Doesn't look like it had a heater but I love that it has those pizza cutter tires on it.
Tall, thin, heavily lugged tires were good for getting through deeper snow back in those days where 4WD was rare. A corner garage in the '50's and '60's used a 1950's former Ontario Hydro (elec. power) one ton Dodge pick up truck as a general shop and tow truck.

It had wheels/tires like that....no 4WD...but it could go through a fair depth of snow to rescue stuck vehicles. The tall, thin tires...cut through the snow quite well. Coupled with high ground clearance ...it works well in snowy climes.
03-24-2014, 10:47 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gmans Quote
apologies to Americans for calling Canadians Americans
Now *those* is fightin' words!
03-24-2014, 11:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well you sure took advantage of the lack of wildlife. Fantastic shot Dave and it belongs on the wall.
03-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

a fine shot as stated by everyone, but I'm waiting for the elk/wolf/eagle photo. Now that would be a photo to put in National Geographic, when can we expect to see that one?.
03-24-2014, 04:26 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Very nice. Most of my trips looking for wildlife end with far less. We have eagles around here and I see them often but never when I have the camera ready. An old truck is always a treat to find and the shot is excellent.