Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Megacon 2014 (Orlando, FL)
Lens: FA 43 Camera: K-01 Photo Location: Orlando, FL 
Posted By: LeRolls, 03-24-2014, 08:21 PM

A collection of my favorite shots from Megacon 2014. As always feedback is appreciated.

Thanks for looking!
Views: 2,360
03-24-2014, 09:14 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Nice usage of the FA43. I've felt the 43 was too tight for conventions but these samples show me how wrong I've been. Your unusual camera angles work well for the comic book subjects - feels a bit like the old Batman TV series.

How did you compose these? Did you carefully position each time for just the right angle, or did you snap many shots of each subject and select the best later?
03-24-2014, 09:20 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My favorite lens and your photos are wild to say the least, great job here. That must of been quite an event to cover.
03-25-2014, 06:11 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Fascinating stuff, for sure . Some of the costumes look elaborate - these folks much take this pretty seriously.

Jer

03-25-2014, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow there are some very detailed costumes there - very nice series.
03-25-2014, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Nice usage of the FA43. I've felt the 43 was too tight for conventions but these samples show me how wrong I've been. Your unusual camera angles work well for the comic book subjects - feels a bit like the old Batman TV series.

How did you compose these? Did you carefully position each time for just the right angle, or did you snap many shots of each subject and select the best later?
I had five seconds tops (closer to three really) with each person as it's a very run and gun situation. Typically I manage to snap 2-3 shots and I chose the sharpest one with the most interesting expression for processing. I generally walk into an area and take a test shot to get my settings on point (wildly varied lighting conditions). I go for the odd angles in an attempt to add a dynamic visual energy that hopefully comes close to mirroring the vibe of the convention. Thank you for kind words by the way!

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
My favorite lens and your photos are wild to say the least, great job here. That must of been quite an event to cover.
Thanks so much! Yeah, they were a quirky and fun bunch to say the least! What I love about events like these is most of the people there live to be in front of the camera. They're almost more excited about it than I am!
03-25-2014, 08:24 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Fascinating stuff, for sure . Some of the costumes look elaborate - these folks much take this pretty seriously.

Jer
Yes, some of them really do take it quite seriously. A lot of them enter contests where there are cash prizes. If you get enough notoriety as a cosplayer then the big cons pay you to show up and sometimes judge the contests.

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Wow there are some very detailed costumes there - very nice series.
Thank you kindly!

03-25-2014, 11:19 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
One more:

03-25-2014, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like lot of fun, great captures and thanks for sharing.
03-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting subjects and you caught them with al lot of flair. The post processing is excellent. It doesn't get in the way of the image and enhances what makes these portraits work.
03-25-2014, 05:35 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Looks like lot of fun, great captures and thanks for sharing.
Thanks and you are quite welcome!

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Interesting subjects and you caught them with al lot of flair. The post processing is excellent. It doesn't get in the way of the image and enhances what makes these portraits work.
Much appreciated! I tried to use my "refined sensibilities" (as bossa stated) when it came to the PP so I'm glad that I'm getting the approval of my fellow Pentaxians.
03-25-2014, 05:51 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Great shooting, nothing like models in costume to make for an awesome shooting day....
03-25-2014, 10:01 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Great shooting, nothing like models in costume to make for an awesome shooting day....
Thanks so much and I couldn't agree more!
03-25-2014, 10:03 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

What great shots it looked like a lot of fun.
03-26-2014, 06:53 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Westoz Quote
What great shots it looked like a lot of fun.
Thanks! The actual con was a madhouse (way too crowded) but I came away with some decent shots so I got what I came for.