Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
For Susan: A Red Flower, Not a Red Ferrari
Lens: FA 31/1.8 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Brazosport College, Clute, TX ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Sailor, 03-25-2014, 06:31 AM

A couple of weeks ago, I took several pics of a red flower when roaming the campus of a local college with my wife and granddaughter. One of those shots I posted earlier, but here is similar composition that I reprocessed with Aperture, after its recent upgrade that includes the K-3 profile. As I mentioned to Bob a few minutes ago in another thread, red tend to baffle me (although not when on a Ferrari ), but I think this pic comes pretty close to what the flower actually looked like . . . . at least to my bleary eyes.

Jer

Views: 1,654
03-25-2014, 06:57 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Absolutely beautiful............well done.
03-25-2014, 09:43 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
beautiful photo, love the texture and colors here, you'll have to take more of this type of photo buddy.

Last edited by Bob Harris; 03-25-2014 at 09:54 AM.
03-25-2014, 09:49 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

. this one is a dazzler jer.... beautiful capture! dave m

03-26-2014, 04:47 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Absolutely beautiful............well done.
Thanks very much, EM.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
beautiful photo, love the texture and colors here, you'll have to take more of this type of photo buddy.
I appreciate the kind words, brother Bob.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
. this one is a dazzler jer.... beautiful capture! dave m
Hey, thanks much, my friend.

Jer
03-26-2014, 07:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Susan says thank you very much Jer. It is a stunner for sure. Now if you would actually send me a ferrari (I prefer black) I would be forever in your debt.
03-27-2014, 05:58 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Susan says thank you very much Jer. It is a stunner for sure. Now if you would actually send me a ferrari (I prefer black) I would be forever in your debt.
Hey Susan, thanks much for the nice words . . . . . . . and I'm checking on Ferrari prices right now .

Jer

03-27-2014, 06:14 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hey! Macro Man?

Jer, it doesn't have wheels!
Seriously, great photo, buddy. You pulled the textures and colors up perfectly. I too struggle with reds and shadow/texture/modeling on my macros, it seems to be the next big hurdle on the track.
This one's a keeper!
Ron
03-27-2014, 12:33 PM   #9
Pentaxian

An excellent job. Red is a struggle sometimes with digital and this shot is right on.
03-27-2014, 03:59 PM   #10
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Nicely done, with great texture in that hard-to-control red. Love it. Thanks.
03-28-2014, 06:34 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Jer, it doesn't have wheels!
Seriously, great photo, buddy. You pulled the textures and colors up perfectly. I too struggle with reds and shadow/texture/modeling on my macros, it seems to be the next big hurdle on the track.
This one's a keeper!
Ron
Thanks much Ron. I have to confess it's not a real macro - this pic was shot, hand held, from a few feet away with my FA 31. I created the "macro" by cropping out about 60-70% of the original. I cheated a bit.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
An excellent job. Red is a struggle sometimes with digital and this shot is right on.
I appreciate the comments!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
Nicely done, with great texture in that hard-to-control red. Love it. Thanks.
Hey, Ted - thanks much.

Jer
03-28-2014, 07:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I cheated a bit.
It was for me and you cheated - a bit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am shocked to say the least.
03-28-2014, 10:22 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
It was for me and you cheated - a bit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am shocked to say the least.
Geez, Susan - you sure have been beating up on me recently! I've attached an appropriate musical lamentation below.

Frankly, I've got a couple of macro lenses, but rarely use them for that purpose, since I hate to carry around the tripod needed to do macros properly. This shot is another good example how the K-3's high resolution allows aggressive cropping while retraining sufficient detail in the cropped image.

Jer

03-28-2014, 11:31 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
A couple of weeks ago, I took several pics of a red flower when roaming the campus of a local college with my wife and granddaughter. One of those shots I posted earlier, but here is similar composition that I reprocessed with Aperture, after its recent upgrade that includes the K-3 profile. As I mentioned to Bob a few minutes ago in another thread, red tend to baffle me (although not when on a Ferrari ), but I think this pic comes pretty close to what the flower actually looked like . . . . at least to my bleary eyes.

Jer
Beautiful picture, I love the texture and accurate color you were able to reproduce! Inspired me to post my own "Another Red Flower". I would also like to improve the glass on my Kx. I'm thinking about a Sigma 18 -250 super zoom for a walking around lens. Any recommendations?
03-29-2014, 09:20 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OldGeaser Quote
Beautiful picture, I love the texture and accurate color you were able to reproduce! Inspired me to post my own "Another Red Flower". I would also like to improve the glass on my Kx. I'm thinking about a Sigma 18 -250 super zoom for a walking around lens. Any recommendations?
Thanks very much! I'm unfamiliar with the Sigma lens, so I can't give you any help there. I rarely (and I mean rarely) carry a tripod, so most of my occasional flower photos are shot as (sort of) close ups hand held. My biggest challenge, particularly with longish or fast lenses, is achieving a shallow DOV while maintaining a sharply focused subject by not moving my aging carcass!

Jer