Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  
Impressed with the K-3 for landscapes
Posted By: Fries, 03-25-2014, 04:33 PM

Although I'm a loyal reader of the "Why I won't buy a K-3" thread I've succumbed to lure of the K-3 and bought one. I've only used the camera for two shoots but my first impression is that the camera does give the landscape shooter a nice bonus in sharpness and resolution. There are far more details visible than with my old camera; the K-5. But enough with the technical talk! Here are two photo's that perhaps prove my point.

Cheers,

Remco

Views: 2,162
03-26-2014, 12:28 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Very nice captures.

03-26-2014, 12:32 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Although I'm a loyal reader of the "Why I won't buy a K-3" thread I've succumbed to lure of the K-3 and bought one.

Cheers,

Remco
I'm telling......
No really, I really really am....

Nice images, I'm just waiting for an opportunity to get mine out for some landscape work. I guess I could go out and do snow scales, but it's colder taking snow scales.
03-26-2014, 04:51 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Remco, I have the same thought that you had thinking that the K3 wouldn't really be that big of a help to me on landscape photos. After viewing these I think my mind has changed and I'll take the plunge. I do know on close up photos I've viewed there is a big difference. Great shots from you as usual, I'll blame the new purchase on you when my wife asks why get another camera.
I live on the other side of the ocean from you and your wife Bob, so feel free to blame me for anything that helps you get a new camera&lens; I am sure am safe from your wife here buddy! These are only my first impressions and they are good, but I do think it is a camera one has to learn to use to get at it's full potential because it is a more complicated beast than my K-5... It is to early to tell for sure, but it does look like it is more difficult to brighten up dark scenes with this sensor when I compare it with the sensor in the K-5. But that only means I have to work a bit harder for a proper exposure.

QuoteOriginally posted by Quest4ADV Quote
Love both the shots. I can't wait to get out of the house and start using mine!

Great job!
Thanks and have fun with your K-3!

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Great shots!
Thanks Adam!

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Very nice indeed! I think I will also be purchasing a K-3 in the very near future!
Thanks LeRolls! I only waited until there was native RAW support on my mac for the K-3.

QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
If I'm not succumbing to suggestion (which never happens on this board) I think the second capture really illustrates the "depth" you're getting from the extra resolution...unlike a lot of images I see that seem wrung out like a wet dish towel, I get the sense that there's a lot of latent information just under the surface. BTW, you're really capturing the unique light y'all have there in the Low Country--I've only seen it once (while, unfortunately, in a holding pattern over Schiphol) but it's a wonder how clouds and sea can be both foreboding and blinding at the same time.
Ha, succes withstanding the power of the K-3! The extra depth is there. But it is also the result of using a strong ND filter with a relatively long shutter speed as a consequence. Especially everything on the horizon is shown more pronounced then with a 'normal' photo. My post processing enhances this too. And yes, the light can be very special here!

QuoteOriginally posted by ROBEFFY Quote
I have to agree with everyone, these are really nice.
The surf in the first shot has so much detail I thought it was rock at first.
Thanks! I think it looks so detailled because it is ever so slightly over exposed.

QuoteOriginally posted by mole Quote
These are very fine illustrations of the strengths of the camera - and the talented eye of the photographer!
Mole thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Westoz Quote
I think you have an incredible eye for detail the composition is brilliant.
Ed, I am glad you like them! I am tempted to downplay you assumptions about my photo capabilities because I really can't be that good but I won't.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lauke_101 Quote
Love the second shot, it's very empty yet absolutely not boring. Begs for a large format print!
Lauke, thanks! You are right about the large format print. Recently some of my landscapes have been printed really, really big for use in the video edits at my workplace and I (and luckily the editors to) were very satisfied with how that looked.

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
I really wish you wouldn't have posted these Remco! I had convinced myself that the K-5 is all I ever need ...
Seriously: great shots, but the 2nd really stands out with the wonderful composition!
Vielen Dank Herbert! Sorry....

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Excellent Remco you're not making my decision any easier - actually you are.
Dave, I alway's have the impression you know how to enjoy live and if you think a new camera will help you with that I am with you 100%!

QuoteOriginally posted by malenisjaj Quote
First one is great.
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Yos Quote
Great photos, my fav is the second as I really love the composition on that one.
What lens did you use taking the pictures?
Cheers
Josef
Josef, thanks! I used my most used lens; the Pentax DA*16-50.

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Very very impressive although I think the guy behind the camera had a quite a bit to do with how these turned out.
Susan, thanks! I sure hope I had something to do with it...

QuoteOriginally posted by TonyTurley Quote
Very nice captures.
Thanks Tony!

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm telling......
No really, I really really am....

Nice images, I'm just waiting for an opportunity to get mine out for some landscape work. I guess I could go out and do snow scales, but it's colder taking snow scales.
Noooo! Don't tell... I have been patiently waiting to join in that conversation but I guess I waited to long. Now where did I put that duck tape...? And about those snow scales; is that something about making snow sculptures? I have to cross a major language barrier here and google turned up something about a plant disease (https://www.hiddenvalleyhibiscus.com/care/scale.htm) that is rather confusing... I am pretty sure with the beautiful landscape in your part of the world the K-3 will be a worthy addition to your camerakit.

Cheers,

Remco
03-27-2014, 05:29 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

superb compositions.... love the mood in 1, the expanse and dof in 2 are exemplary... dave m

03-27-2014, 05:46 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great stuff, Remco - as always. The second one knocks me out.

Jer
03-27-2014, 09:36 AM   #21

Two very good shots, but the second one is my favorite, it expresses the temporality of human intervention...
03-27-2014, 09:52 AM   #22
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
And about those snow scales; is that something about making snow sculptures? I have to cross a major language barrier here and google turned up something about a plant disease
I'm also on the wrong side of the language barrier, but I suspect they might be the same as a snow cornice.

Excellent shots, btw! And I believe their excellence lies more in the photographer than the K-3 (or the 16-50). Not that the K-3 isn't a great camera

03-27-2014, 04:24 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
superb compositions.... love the mood in 1, the expanse and dof in 2 are exemplary... dave m
Thanks Dave! It was the second one that really surprised me in a good way.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Great stuff, Remco - as always. The second one knocks me out.

Jer
Jer, thanks! I am glad you liked them and the second one is my favorite photo of the whole set (there are more...).

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentigor Quote
Two very good shots, but the second one is my favorite, it expresses the temporality of human intervention...
Thanks Igor! In this case there have been plans to connect the island on the other side of this shallow sea with the main land, but luckily (in my opinion) they abandoned the idea. The Waddensea is now a World Heritage site that is of immense importance to migrating birds. And with time it is able to swallow every sign of human intervention although the relentless rate of human development keeps creating new stuff to 'disassemble'.

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I'm also on the wrong side of the language barrier, but I suspect they might be the same as a snow cornice.

Excellent shots, btw! And I believe their excellence lies more in the photographer than the K-3 (or the 16-50). Not that the K-3 isn't a great camera
Thanks for the compliment and yes the K-3 is a fine tool. And thanks for the explanation! The one time I crossed such a cornice was in Norway; on my way to Olavsbu in the Jotunheimen! If everything goes to plan I will use my new camera in Finnmark this summer...

Remco

Last edited by Fries; 03-27-2014 at 05:00 PM.