Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
A few spring birds
Lens: Tokina 400, SMC 135-600, FA 100 macro Camera: K 20D Photo Location: East Tennessee 
Posted By: mole, 03-25-2014, 06:43 PM

We're seeing some new birds, and new bird activity, with the return of springtime to East Tennessee!

Killdeer are already on the nest. This one, spotted by some sharp-eyed first graders at a nearby school, was sitting on four eggs.

Here's one of our many spring migrants. We only see the Horned Grebes at the home park lake for a few days each March. This one already has its summer plumage.

But this one must be an immature bird - still looks like the winter plumage. These grebes are just as shy as our (much more abundant) Pied Billed Grebes. And they're just as good at diving and swimming away underwater!

Hope to have more views of our springtime feathered friends to share. Thanks for any comments & critique!

Views: 847
03-25-2014, 06:54 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great shots of the Killdeer and Grebe! I can't wait to see some spring activity here. Very soon.
03-25-2014, 09:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great sharp shots especially liked the Killdeer.
03-26-2014, 05:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mole Quote
We're seeing some new birds, and new bird activity, with the return of springtime to East Tennessee!

Killdeer are already on the nest. This one, spotted by some sharp-eyed first graders at a nearby school, was sitting on four eggs.

Here's one of our many spring migrants. We only see the Horned Grebes at the home park lake for a few days each March. This one already has its summer plumage.

But this one must be an immature bird - still looks like the winter plumage. These grebes are just as shy as our (much more abundant) Pied Billed Grebes. And they're just as good at diving and swimming away underwater!

Hope to have more views of our springtime feathered friends to share. Thanks for any comments & critique!
Love the shots of the Killdeer

03-26-2014, 07:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bscott Quote
Love the shots of the Killdeer
+1. That was a very considerate bird to pose for the 100mm instead of going into the "broken-wing" routine.
03-26-2014, 07:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You always get those sharp images Mole, nice shots
03-26-2014, 11:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Have enjoyed all your spring threads ranger. Got to get up to the mountains but it doesn't look like we will make it this spring. At least I can go along with you and I appreciate that. Wonderful shots as always from you.

03-26-2014, 05:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Jacquot - Hope your Springtime arrives very soon!

Ed - She sure was a poser!!

Bscott - Thanks!

CreationBear - Best technique I've found for Killdeer nest shots is to lay flat and just crawl over. They seem to be less threatened when I stay very low, and move rather slowly. In this case, it was necessary because the longest lens I had with me was the 100mm!

Hans - Thanks so much!

Susan - Glad you like the "second hand" spring hikes, but hope you'll be able to make your own sometime soon!
03-26-2014, 06:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Great shots. Our pied-billed grebes are so smoking fast and elusive that for a few weeks I thought it was a water snake... I could never get anywhere near it.... it would just disappear and show up very far away