Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

First bug of the season!
Posted By: codiac2600, 04-20-2008, 08:37 AM

Oh did I miss macro photography during the winter months. Not sure how many of you remembered my passion for dragonfly photography and getting out in the woods capturing tons of little critters.

Here is my very first shot of the season that has a bug in it and I'm soooooo happy that I'm going to the park now to see if I can find more.

Views: 2,197
04-21-2008, 07:34 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by McD Quote
Very very nice shots, I can only imagine how tricky it is to nail focus when you have something that close/moving around. Nice work!
Thank you

It actually wasn't too bad since the K20D actually snaps into focus with less re-focus than the K10D, but the other advantage was me learning this little guys flight pattern.

I walk the pond about 4 or 5 times and noticed the guy always doing the same routine, which is normal for dragonflies. I found a spot at the turn in the pond and sat down and waited. For a while he didn't come by but after 10 minutes he flew his usual pattern again. Every time he came by I'd snap one or two shots and wait for him to come by again. I probably have 20 or 30 mid air shots, but this one he was maybe 6ft out and almost hovered.

Macro photography has a lot to do with learning patterns in an insects habits. A lot like birding, because the best birders can camp and recognize the best place to set camp based on the birds natural patterns.

04-21-2008, 08:14 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thank you and here are the specs:
K20D w/ Tamron 70-300 DI at 300mm
ISO 320
1/800th
f8.0
Dynamic Range Optimizer ON

Is this a new feature on the K20D(Dynamic Range Optimizer ON)?

cheers
04-21-2008, 08:29 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Thank you and here are the specs:
K20D w/ Tamron 70-300 DI at 300mm
ISO 320
1/800th
f8.0
Dynamic Range Optimizer ON

Is this a new feature on the K20D(Dynamic Range Optimizer ON)?

cheers
Yes it is. Basically it doesn't allow the highlights to blow and will push the levels to the far right extreme. Then it increases the shadow sensitivity. I turned it on because this shot was backlit and as you cna tell turned out almost perfect with the mode on. It did make the shdows a little grainy, but worth it without blowing out the highlights.
04-21-2008, 09:17 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Nice shots!!

Nice shots Chris!!

Love the dragonfly pic.. I dont know if I would have the patience to sit there as long as you did waiting for him to fly by..

Great dedication and it definately paid off!!! Thanks for sharin.. Kim

04-21-2008, 10:30 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I always love your insect pic's Chris, and that's a sweet dragon photo as well Ash