Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First bug of the season!
Posted By: codiac2600, 04-20-2008, 08:37 AM

Oh did I miss macro photography during the winter months. Not sure how many of you remembered my passion for dragonfly photography and getting out in the woods capturing tons of little critters.

Here is my very first shot of the season that has a bug in it and I'm soooooo happy that I'm going to the park now to see if I can find more.

Views: 2,400
04-20-2008, 08:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great shots Chris, if not quite as attractive a subject as the dragonflies. Have missed your bugs. Will look forward to more.

Paul
04-20-2008, 11:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
Great shots Chris, if not quite as attractive a subject as the dragonflies. Have missed your bugs. Will look forward to more.

Paul
Thanks you Paul and I got some AMAZING shots at the park and will post as soon as I have some lunch.
04-20-2008, 12:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The shot of all shots from today at the park.

I wasn't able to get much macro in because they just wouldn't sit still, but the good news is they are already mating and they are everywhere so bug season has officially begun!

04-20-2008, 02:11 PM   #5
Inactive Account

That Dragonfly shot is amazing! The colour, the background, the movement of the wings - I love it! And his landing gear is still up.

Thanks Chris.
04-20-2008, 02:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

"Shot of all shots" indeed! Will you please share us the shutter speed and aperture used in that picture? TIA
04-20-2008, 02:17 PM   #7
Banned

holy crap, what a shot. damn good job.

04-20-2008, 02:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

That's a stupendous sharp, colourful shot Chris. The only dragonfly in flight shot I've manged to date was one about 12 ft away and you could just about make out what it was. To add to Georg's questions was this with the 105 Macro?

Paul
04-20-2008, 03:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
That Dragonfly shot is amazing! The colour, the background, the movement of the wings - I love it! And his landing gear is still up.

Thanks Chris.
Thank you very much

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
"Shot of all shots" indeed! Will you please share us the shutter speed and aperture used in that picture? TIA
Thank you and here are the specs:
K20D w/ Tamron 70-300 DI at 300mm
ISO 320
1/800th
f8.0
Dynamic Range Optimizer ON

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
holy crap, what a shot. damn good job.
Why thank you

QuoteOriginally posted by channeler Quote
That's a stupendous sharp, colourful shot Chris. The only dragonfly in flight shot I've manged to date was one about 12 ft away and you could just about make out what it was. To add to Georg's questions was this with the 105 Macro?

Paul
Yeah I captured a dragonfly in flight last season and it wasn't this good, but darn good none the less. I was about 6ft from this guy and sat in the same spot for over an hour for it. Now I have a slight sun burn, but well worth it.
04-20-2008, 03:37 PM   #10
Inactive Account

WOW, the dragonfly shot is fantastic Chris Really well done.

The fly shots are good too
04-20-2008, 03:39 PM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Love the detail Chris,
and with the Tammy 70-300, those are just great results.
I was also lucky enough to capture such a bug, but in promptu, this one posed for me for a split second in front of someone's house, so didn't have a chance to change lenses.
Taken also with a Tammy, but this one with a 28-75.
How you manage, though, to capture that one in mid-flight is beyond me!
Well done.

04-20-2008, 04:40 PM   #12
Inactive Account

I first started really noticing your work from your excellent bug shots.

The way you can capture a dragon fly never ceases to amaze me. This one is no exception. And, I really like the fly shots... the last one in particular.

Great job!!
04-20-2008, 06:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Super capture! The sharpness and detail is amazing. I have a couple of nice draginfly shots but mine aren't in the same class. Thanks for the inspiration.
04-20-2008, 07:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thomasjmpark Quote
WOW, the dragonfly shot is fantastic Chris Really well done.

The fly shots are good too
Thank you Thomas

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Love the detail Chris,
and with the Tammy 70-300, those are just great results.
I was also lucky enough to capture such a bug, but in promptu, this one posed for me for a split second in front of someone's house, so didn't have a chance to change lenses.
Taken also with a Tammy, but this one with a 28-75.
How you manage, though, to capture that one in mid-flight is beyond me!
Well done.
Thank you and I've been a fan of what the lens can do to a certain point, but it will be time to finally upgrade my long glass this summer.

Thats a great capture and should be proud of it. Insects aren't easy and takes a lot of patience, but sometimes we get lucky.

QuoteOriginally posted by hamidlmt Quote
I first started really noticing your work from your excellent bug shots.

The way you can capture a dragon fly never ceases to amaze me. This one is no exception. And, I really like the fly shots... the last one in particular.

Great job!!
Thanks Hamid and I remember those days, good times, good times. I think I had more sessions with dragonflies than models, but hey I learn from both which is great.

I think I have too much patience sometimes. I just noticed how bad my sunburn is from sitting in the direct sun for over 45 minutes to get that one shot. Was it worth it? Of course!

QuoteOriginally posted by dws1117 Quote
Super capture! The sharpness and detail is amazing. I have a couple of nice draginfly shots but mine aren't in the same class. Thanks for the inspiration.
Thank you and I'm glad I can do something for the community and enjoy it myself. The fresh air has been too good to me and I'm feeling sad not being outside after this just awesome day.
04-20-2008, 09:21 PM   #15
McD

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very very nice shots, I can only imagine how tricky it is to nail focus when you have something that close/moving around. Nice work!