Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
From Barcelona
Posted By: Talisman39, 04-20-2008, 09:21 AM

I was fortunate enough to have a business trip last week in Barcelona, and while the days were pretty packed I did take one day extra to look around the city a little bit. I visited of course the amazing Sagrada Familia, truly an astonishing cathedral designed by Antonin Gaudi that has been under construction for the last 100+ years and is expected to be finished around 2050. I also visited the famous La Boqueria food market, which was a sensory overload experience, and did quite a bit of walking around the streets. The weather chose that day to be gray and rainy (the rest of the trip had beautiful weather), so the light was not that great, but it was still enjoyable taking some photos as it is a beautiful city. I definitely hope to go back again.

A few samples here, and more at my Zenfolio gallery.

Adam
Views: 1,980
04-21-2008, 02:09 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
These are great travel pictures. The cathedral looks weird, almost like a giant dripping stalactite. Yet, the columns in the second picture have a very modern edge to them. The market is always a great place to take pictures, I love the colour, the people and all the activity. (Looks like it was raining, though.) Nice DOF on the food product shot. The next shot taken in the street looks a tiny bit off being perfectly horizontal - but super wide angle shots are tricky and can fool ones eyes. The clouds in the next shot look very ominous and I really like the B&W conversion of the last image; too bad there is that scaffolding on the right.

Thanks for sharing.
04-21-2008, 03:09 AM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
almost like a giant dripping stalactite
Art nouveau, free flowing, organic lines (and stuff). I love the mosaic benches in Barcelona, done by Gaudi aswell.

Great shots The building in no5 looks awfully thin!
04-21-2008, 03:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

That's one ugly Cathedral! The chocolates, onth, look very delish

04-21-2008, 04:28 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by thomasjmpark Quote
Great shots The building in no5 looks awfully thin!
I noticed that, too. Imagine those flats; all done in the shape of a piece of pie. What room would be in the narrow pointy end, maybe the loo? Dunno? 'Tis odd for sure.
04-21-2008, 04:40 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Those are wonderful shots, my favorite is the last one in B/W. Nice DOF, and on any other day, you would probably not find the street empty. The b/w suits the mood of wet and rainy. Thanks for sharing.
04-21-2008, 05:38 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just one question: Is this church always under construction?
I was there in 1991 and it was the same!

04-21-2008, 05:43 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent seris and that building is narrow. Love the B&W and street scenes.
04-21-2008, 11:13 AM   #9

Original Poster
@J.Scott: Thanks for the feedback, those are all good points. I should adjust the angle on the narrow building, as it is off a bit. Also, if I'd noticed the scaffolding I would have swiveled myself a bit to the right so that it could be seen

@Pentagor: Yes, construction is permanent! Well, it's supposed to be finished around 2050, and they started over 100 years ago. This is typical for cathedrals - most large medieval ones took a couple of centuries to build. Even with modern machinery it's taking a long time (there's relatively little budget too, so that doesn't help...)