Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
The Whistler Himself . . . . . . . . .
Lens: FA 77/1.8 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Lake Jackson, TX ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Sailor, 04-04-2014, 05:20 PM

. . . . . . . not his mother.

Jer

Views: 1,396
04-09-2014, 06:29 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Today, against my better judgement, I'm doing something I've never done before on any forum: "bump" my own OP . I took this pic last week while in a local wildlife refuge and - to be candid - I really like it . However, although one kind-hearted soul gave the shot a "Like," the photo received not one comment. This morning, I looked at it again, and thought, "what the heck, I'll give it another chance." If it dies of ignominy a second time, then I'll have gotten the message.

Jer
04-09-2014, 06:38 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I missed it, ... but now I see it, what tune do you think it was
04-09-2014, 06:46 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nice black and white . . .

Very nice, and inspires me to try the black and white setting on my K-5II (even though I have a roll of Kodak 400CN with about 15 of 24 exposures completed in my Pentax MZ-S with the razor sharp lens Pentax 50 mm macro f 2.8).

I understand your frustration in not getting any comments or recognition upon posting your photographs. I have experienced the same with my postings, and it worries me to think that no comments can even be construed as a sort of comment!

04-09-2014, 04:27 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
I missed it, ... but now I see it, what tune do you think it was
Hey, CC - I'm pretty sure the tune was: "Honky Tonk Woman." It sounded kinda funny coming from a tree, but we're not all that far from Nawlins.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Very nice, and inspires me to try the black and white setting on my K-5II (even though I have a roll of Kodak 400CN with about 15 of 24 exposures completed in my Pentax MZ-S with the razor sharp lens Pentax 50 mm macro f 2.8).

I understand your frustration in not getting any comments or recognition upon posting your photographs. I have experienced the same with my postings, and it worries me to think that no comments can even be construed as a sort of comment!
Thanks very much for the kind words - I really appreciate them and I'm glad you like this off-the-wall shot.

I don't take my photography very seriously, so I wasn't expressing frustration (anyway, I get enough "action" on the forum ); however, I was surprised that no one made a comment. I can't remember doing a photo post that didn't get at least one or two responses (although it's possible, and perhaps likely, that I've forgotten an instance or two ). Of course, forum response will depend on the composition of members on line at a given moment - rather like a successful auction, which depends upon who's in the room. Also, after being a forum member since its inception, my sense is that photos outside the mainstream - like the one here - generally (but not always) provoke less attention than shots with more conventional subjects (for the record, the majority of my pics incorporate decidedly conventional subjects).

I've never tried any of the in-camera filters on my K-5 or K-3, since I only shoot RAW and thus do conversions in PP. However, in the majority of cases (such as this one), I visualize the shot as B&W before I press the shutter.

Jer
04-09-2014, 05:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like Cee Cee I missed it as well as I've been busy trying to get the registration of the car sorted out which was made harder because I have personal plates. You were lucky to spot this as most would have missed it. Well captured too.
04-09-2014, 05:17 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I completely missed this one buddy and I'm pretty good generally about following your antics, ah I mean photography. I posted one also yesterday and it ran through without recognition,, but I got some views which is a good thing for this old amateur. BTW, cool looking pic, great conversion from you as usual.

04-09-2014, 05:43 PM   #8
Pentaxian

At first I thought it was barking.
04-09-2014, 06:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Sorry to have missed this one. Part of the problem is that I'm only here once or twice every few weeks, and there are SO MANY good photos being posted. But glad you "bumped" this one so I could see your woody version of "the scream," and enjoy your fine B&W conversion too.
04-10-2014, 04:59 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

took me a second to 'get it'.... it's me, not you jer..... keen and creative eye, enjoyed this capture.. dave m
04-10-2014, 05:31 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Like Cee Cee I missed it as well as I've been busy trying to get the registration of the car sorted out which was made harder because I have personal plates. You were lucky to spot this as most would have missed it. Well captured too.
No worries mate (ain't that the way ya'll say it? ). If I had that new car of yours, I'd be completely distracted; hell, I'd be sleeping in it

Jer

---------- Post added 04-10-2014 at 09:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I completely missed this one buddy and I'm pretty good generally about following your antics, ah I mean photography. I posted one also yesterday and it ran through without recognition,, but I got some views which is a good thing for this old amateur. BTW, cool looking pic, great conversion from you as usual.
Oh, geez, Bob - I miss a bunch of 'em too - especially when I'm away from the forum a day or two. I also try to follow your adventures - since pop is so many cool places!! Thanks for looking, buddy.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
At first I thought it was barking.
Perhaps it was - barking up the wrong tree?

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by mole Quote
Sorry to have missed this one. Part of the problem is that I'm only here once or twice every few weeks, and there are SO MANY good photos being posted. But glad you "bumped" this one so I could see your woody version of "the scream," and enjoy your fine B&W conversion too.
No sweat - as I said, I miss a bunch of good stuff too and don't have time to comment on everything that I dig. I'm glad you like the pic - I should have thought of "The Scream." It's a far better title for this dark photo.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
took me a second to 'get it'.... it's me, not you jer..... keen and creative eye, enjoyed this capture.. dave m
Dave, I appreciate it buddy, thanks for the nice words!

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 04-10-2014 at 07:02 AM.
04-11-2014, 04:23 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
... I visualize the shot as B&W before I press the shutter.

Jer
You know, although I think I have a couple of decend B&W shots, with very few exeptions I just can't do this. Most of my B&Ws are a result of not beeing happy with the colored version
Well, definately your visualization worked for this shot Jer!
04-11-2014, 05:41 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
You know, although I think I have a couple of decend B&W shots, with very few exeptions I just can't do this. Most of my B&Ws are a result of not beeing happy with the colored version
Well, definately your visualization worked for this shot Jer!
Thanks much, Norbert. I did have a lot of fun with this one.

Jer
04-11-2014, 06:41 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Black and white portrait

Here is a photo of my friend and helper Bill who has been engaged in pruning the apple orchard.

EXIF is pretty well useless since this is a film photo that was scanned digitally down at the drugstore.

Photo details:

Camera: Pentax MZ-S
Lens: SMC Pentax D FA 50 mm macro f 2.8
Film: Kodak Professional BW400CN
Aperture: f 5.6
Shutter speed: 1/125 sec.
ISO: 400
Lighting: Indigenous sunlight

Comment: The D FA 50 macro f 2.8 is one of my favorite lenses for its extreme sharpness and neutral rendering. I call it one of my most "truthful" lenses, and some ladies turn away when they see it. It is nice to use the lens in full-frame mode with film cameras.

Thanks in advance for any comments you may be kind enough to offer.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
F135_PLUS  Photo 
04-11-2014, 11:55 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
. . . . . . . not his mother.

Jer
I like it, but only after really looking at it. We are so used to looking at snappy pictures that immediately catch the eye that we sometimes pass by pictures like this. I get the connection to the scream but it is the mood of the whole picture that I like. I took the time to download it and play around with PS, fuzzying and making the background disappear and bringing up the tree trunk but that just destroys the mood. I like it just as you have posted it.