Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  
One Red Hot Classic Jag
Posted By: Sailor, 04-05-2014, 06:14 AM

Yesterday afternoon while doing some shooting in a nearby wildlife refuge, I got a call from my wife who was cycling at our local college. She had spotted a shiny red Jaguar parked in the lot and thought I might want to see/photograph it. Thinking the car would be gone by the time I got there, I continued to stroll the refuge looking for subjects, but when I left I decided to swing by the college before going home on the off chance the car my still be there. It was!! Here are some shots of what I believe is an XK120, but my knowledge of the marque is superficial and it may be a later model.

Jer

Views: 2,859
04-07-2014, 07:38 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
truly one of the most beautiful designs ever.... always loved the racing green.. but this red is ravishing...
fine series jer.... dave m
Thanks much, buddy - I appreciate your comments always.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Nice find Jer.

Love Jags of this vintage.

You're putting those Limted lenses to good use.

Tom G
Hey, Tom - thank you and I'm loving the lenses. Glad you liked the pics.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, that is an XK-120 (my dad had one, 1950 LHD roadster). It is hard to determine which year though I would expect 1951-1954. The 1950 roadsters in left-hand drive are fairly rare with only a few hundred having been built. My dad's had a small plaque on the dash indicated the world speed record set in 1949. I never had the privilege of driving the car, but rode in it multiple times. According to my dad, handling was a challenge due to the car's light weight. The brakes were also prone to fade on heavy use. Strangely, the 4-speed transmission was not synchronized in 1st and poorly synchronized in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears. Downshifts to second required double-clutching.

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Steve
Thanks, Steve. I guess the Brits had something against synchromesh in those days! How fortunate you were to have such an important car in your family.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Sounds like we had similar lives when we were young. My parents traded in their '46 Ford in the early '50's on Austin cars. I think we had three....a new one every couple of years. When I was about 5 or 6 years old, my family traveled down in the last Austin, from Western Canada to St. Louis, Missouri one Easter.

We had relatives in the states.

The things I recall from that trip was that I got to see the house where Jesse James was assassinated, also saw an Orangutan at the St. Louis Zoo and an impromptu 'drag' between one of my American cousins in his Buick straight eight and my dad in his Austin and it's 4 speed, with Bull low. The Buick with it's Dynaflow.

The Buick won out...but it was closer than you would of thought. I don't think my cousin reckoned with the Austin's Bull low first gear.The 'race' was on a back country road...no faster than about 35 mph.

My American family were amazed at the difference in engine length...between a Buick straight eight and an Austin inline four.

Good way to live....waiting till you have the cash to buy, rather than go on payments.

My Scottish Presbyterian father taught me the same thing. My wife and I still work our financial purchases that way.

I was also fortunate to have my first vehicle bought by my parents. It was a '1965 Czechoslovakian made Jawa 50cc scooter. After that I bought all my vehicles, but I did appreciate the purchase of that first vehicle.

Les
I'm a Presbyterian like your Dad - sounds like he and my Dad thought alike!

In the early '50s, my Dad drove straight-eight Pontiacs - I can remember them . . . . . . but just barely.

Jer

04-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, that is an XK-120 (my dad had one, 1950 LHD roadster). It is hard to determine which year though I would expect 1951-1954. The 1950 roadsters in left-hand drive are fairly rare with only a few hundred having been built. My dad's had a small plaque on the dash indicated the world speed record set in 1949. I never had the privilege of driving the car, but rode in it multiple times. According to my dad, handling was a challenge due to the car's light weight. The brakes were also prone to fade on heavy use. Strangely, the 4-speed transmission was not synchronized in 1st and poorly synchronized in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears. Downshifts to second required double-clutching.

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Steve
Lucky you

Jaguars didn't get synchromesh on first until around the middle 1960s. I can't remember any difficulties changing down into 2nd, but my father's Jaguars were from 1961 onwards. I've seen it written that they didn't get synchromesh on first until the XJ-6, but I have memories of synchro on first in his 1966 3.4 MkII. I could be wrong. It was a long time ago.

Richard.
04-07-2014, 09:40 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No Jer, I will not look at these pictures ... I will not look!!
04-08-2014, 06:12 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
Lucky you

Jaguars didn't get synchromesh on first until around the middle 1960s. I can't remember any difficulties changing down into 2nd, but my father's Jaguars were from 1961 onwards. I've seen it written that they didn't get synchromesh on first until the XJ-6, but I have memories of synchro on first in his 1966 3.4 MkII. I could be wrong. It was a long time ago.

Richard.
I didn't realize that, Richard. My Aunt and Uncle had an early '60s Big Healy, which I drove a few times, but I can't remember whether it had syncro low or not. Connie and I test drove a number of new MGs and Triumphs in the late '60s, and I'm pretty sure these had fully synchronized transmissions . . . . . . . . but the memory fades with age .

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
No Jer, I will not look at these pictures ... I will not look!!
Aw, go ahead and look, my friend. They do have seductive, sensuous lines, for sure.

Jer

04-08-2014, 06:14 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice wheels there Jer.Reminds me of the vintage cars that I saw in Naples Fl.--capn zap
04-08-2014, 06:32 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Nice wheels there Jer.Reminds me of the vintage cars that I saw in Naples Fl.--capn zap
Thanks, Capn - Florida has got a lot of special and beautiful cars, as you so nicely documented for us during your vacation.

Jer