Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The Helo Story - 15 images
Posted By: JCSullivan, 04-21-2008, 10:17 AM

On Saturday my nephew came into town on the way to the east cost (HFX I think), from Victoria, BC transporting a helicopter for maintenance. He said they needed to stop every 3 hours. The helo was carrying 5 crew.

First they did a fly-past.

They landed and spoke to customs

My nephew Brian, himself

Then some important things like call home. Whether that's HQ or the better half, I'll never know

When the rotor stop turning, they found this guy on top, hitching a ride

Just kidding, actually, this guy never stoped working from the minute they got out of the helo

Here are some close shots of parts of the helo

We were then invited to come in as guests
After doing a night shift I hadn't shaven or got any sleep so be kind

and here's one for the dare to be a pentaxian thread

Now, since we're all a bunch of hams in this family here are a couple more
My grand-niece Tayla

And the biggest ham of all, wearing a t-shirt from the HMCS Ottawa - my nephews ship.

Here's unshaven JC

Views: 3,887
04-21-2008, 12:21 PM   #2
Inactive Account

So cool! What a great experience all around, especially for the kids. It's always fascinating being up close to machinery that cool!
04-21-2008, 09:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great Series

Great series JC..

You captured the visit well.. Looks like it was good time had by all!!

Thanks for sharin.. now go shave Mr. hairy man.. !!! LOL

Kim
04-21-2008, 10:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

That's cool JC,
I would love to have the opportunity that you just did

04-22-2008, 01:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Cool stuff. Almost like a short film or a documentary serie about plane and machine and alike.

You look different from your signature pic
04-22-2008, 02:36 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Great JC It looks like you had good fun that day. The park across from my house gets a visit from the mountain rescue helicopter every now and again, its a yellow version of the one in your pics, very loud!. We also have the RAF fly tornados over very low on training excercises, so low you can actually wave to the pilot! Chinooks too, i love watching them
04-22-2008, 03:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I really like Helos especially the jet-engined one. I got really excited (they said I was like a little kid with excitement) when I was told my nephew was coming into town with a helo thinking maybe they would take me up but unfortunately NOT. I guess I'm no Prince William going to a stag or visiting the girlfriend (Prince William's Helicopter Fiasco ? and More Royal News! | Helicopters, Kate Middleton, Laws | CitizenSugar - News and Politics)

At 600lbs of fuel for $3000, its too much too expect - or share the costs.

04-22-2008, 04:40 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great series JC. Some good shots and nicely captured to record the event. Lucky you. I'm surprised they would fly this thing over 5000 Kms to Halifax. You'd think it would be easier on the chopper and cheaper to put it in a Hurc and fly it across. Customs? They flew in US airspace?
04-22-2008, 05:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

That's fantastic. Great shots there JC. I got a soft spot for helos too, always wanted to get my licence but sooooo expensive. Best fun I ever had was being winched outta Sea King onto a Aus Navy ship. Shame you couldn't do a Prince Willy
04-22-2008, 09:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah Peter, it doesn't make sense does it!
They flew in from somewhere in Wisconsin (2 hours away) - I guess they map-out the closest place. I didn't have time to ask many questions, we're a big family and I'm sure he wanted to get over to his mom and dad's.
04-22-2008, 04:54 PM   #11

JC. Love helos - thanks for sharing these. Ken.
04-22-2008, 05:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

nice photos ... i would have thought they would have retired those by now, isn't canada getting some new choppers?
04-23-2008, 03:54 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This CH-124 Sea King | Aircraft | Canada’s Air Force will answer the question. Promises, promises.

Did you catch yesterday Liverpool vs Chelsea match? A surprising finish to an otherwise borrrrrrring match.
04-23-2008, 05:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Nice series JC as an airforce brat I can appreacite this series (my Dad was an Airframe tech).
04-23-2008, 06:14 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Did you catch yesterday Liverpool vs Chelsea match? A surprising finish to an otherwise borrrrrrring match.
nah i was at work so i miss all these midweek games. i was reading the online commentary from the guardian and the reporter seemed so bummed out he had to do the match, historically all their games have been snoozers, so no surprise there. i did catch the highlights online after, what the heck was riise doing?? ... perfect header tho

i honestly don't know who to cheer for in the Champions League now, i really dislike all of the teams