Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Travel Across Town: Kreiche Brewery
Lens: Pentax DA 18-55 WR Camera: Pentax K3 Photo Location: Kreiche Brewery ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: sherrvonne, 04-06-2014, 08:51 PM

Photos of what remains of the Kreiche Brewery built by German immigrants (Heinrich Kreiche a stone mason and brewer, and his family) after 1849 and by 1879 was one of the largest brew operations in Texas.

Last edited by sherrvonne; 06-12-2016 at 05:27 PM.
Views: 820
04-07-2014, 12:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

i love the way it was built with all the rocks and bricks..but why was it destroyed?
04-07-2014, 05:36 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Terrific shots of an unusual place - nice compositions and perfect exposures. It wasn't until after I moved down here from Michigan in '95 that I learned of the major influx of German immigrants in the 19th century.

Jer
04-07-2014, 06:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hmirchev Quote
i love the way it was built with all the rocks and bricks..but why was it destroyed?
It was
after Mr Kreiche died and also faster brewing methods began being used by competing brewers that the The Kreiche brewery was closed and it fell into disrepair until the site was transferred to the State Parks and Wildlife department, the same sight also holds the Crypt of the remains of Texans killed in the Dawson Massacre and the Black Bean Death Lottery.

04-07-2014, 10:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
It was
after Mr Kreiche died and also faster brewing methods began being used by competing brewers that the The Kreiche brewery was closed and it fell into disrepair until the site was transferred to the State Parks and Wildlife department, the same sight also holds the Crypt of the remains of Texans killed in the Dawson Massacre and the Black Bean Death Lottery.
Really cool story, makes me want to visit it someday
04-07-2014, 11:29 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Terrific shots of an unusual place - nice compositions and perfect exposures. It wasn't until after I moved down here from Michigan in '95 that I learned of the major influx of German immigrants in the 19th century.

Jer
Thanks, it was very windy and the sun was in and out of the clouds. I need to work using infinity.

---------- Post added 04-07-14 at 01:38 PM ----------

The German influence is very heavy in this area, my husband's family immigrated here after having first went to Cali during the gold rush. Lol, too bad they didn't save any if it. As for myself We were always told we were German/Dutch but turns out, yes my dad's ancestor came to America on a Holland ship but he was part of the group of Prussian Hessian Soldiers paid by Britain to squelch the rebelling colonists. Harkey originally Herche or Harche. LOL, Not sure on exact spelling unless there is a Prussian decended Pentax enthusiast that knows anyone by that name who could say for sure.
04-07-2014, 01:28 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ooh, I bet that beer tasted good on a TX summer day! Nice set of images, TFS.