Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Woodland things
Lens: 55-300 WR Camera: K-30 Photo Location: WV 
Posted By: TonyTurley, 04-07-2014, 12:27 PM

I went looking for Morels last weekend, and still came home empty handed. It may be too early still, as I've only heard of a few being found locally, and many of our Spring plants still haven't sprouted. One guy I know found over a hundred of them last year . . . I've never found one. I'll try again this weekend. I did find several early Spring plants that have started sprouting and/or flowering. My skill is more in identifying trees and shrubs, but I took a stab at these. #1 & #2 I'm certain of; I'd appreciate any input if anyone can identify the others.

Striped Pipsissewa

Cut-leaf Toothwort

I think this is a very early Mayapple with flower, although I don't usually see the flowers this early.

False Rue Anemone? Hard to tell from the immature leaves.

Cumberland Spurge? Again, hard to tell from the immature leaves and flowers.

Views: 907
04-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice photos! Bright and clear with good DoF! I always struggle with DoF and high ISO noise with this type of photos. I especially like the first two photos, because the flowers take the lead role of the frame. In the others, the subject is slightly less prominent
04-07-2014, 03:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Na.
04-08-2014, 07:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One I forgot to add. Have no idea what this is.

04-08-2014, 09:31 AM   #5
Closed Account

Nice closeups of the flora !
04-08-2014, 09:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
Nice closeups of the flora !
Thanks Michael. This is a great time of the year to be wandering the woods with a camera.
04-08-2014, 06:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tony - Fine illustrations of the floral diversity in your rich woodlands, and fine illustrations of your photographic skills as well!

A few corrections to identifications (hope you don't mind). Mayapples are much larger than photo #3, and the flowers come out beneath the paired leaves. Your photo is a much earlier bloom - Bloodroot.
#4 looks like Rue Anemone to me, not false rue anemone.
Not sure what #5 is - have heard it called leadwort but that is not correct. Will try to get you a correct ID soon.
The one you added later is one of our native orchids - often called Rattlesnake Plantain (although it's an orchid, not a plantain). Leaves are patterned like snake skin. Blooms come later in the season, a fine little stalk of small white orchid-looking flowers.

Hope you continue to enjoy this fine spring season, and will share more of the "fruits" of your walks!

04-09-2014, 09:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for those clarifications, mole, and for the kind comments. I was hoping you would chime in. I wasn't certain on the one I thought was Mayapple, because ours haven't even begun to leaf out. One of the "fruits" I'm really hoping to experience this Spring is Morels. I have never found one . . . ever . . even when others were finding them in abundance. I have looked around Poplar trees, around Elm trees, around Walnut trees. I have looked high, I have looked low. I have looked on hillsides, I've looked in flat areas. The conditions are ripe up here, and the daughter of a lady from church found 21 last night in a short period of time. Unless they are buried under the leaves and I'm walking right past them, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. There are a couple of places I'm going to try over the next couple of days.
04-09-2014, 05:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Nice photos! Bright and clear with good DoF! I always struggle with DoF and high ISO noise with this type of photos. I especially like the first two photos, because the flowers take the lead role of the frame. In the others, the subject is slightly less prominent
As he said and DITTO
04-09-2014, 05:43 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lovely, So hard to see these in real life. and then to know what they are and be able to share them is great.
David
04-09-2014, 09:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I like #2 a lot! One thing I'd suggest on a few of these though is to use portrait format. Just a matter of personal taste, but I think #2 would look cool in vertical, with an arc of a branch on the bottom below the flower.
04-10-2014, 06:57 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
As he said and DITTO
Thanks em.
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Lovely, So hard to see these in real life. and then to know what they are and be able to share them is great.
David
Glad you enjoyed them, Jacquot.
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
I like #2 a lot! One thing I'd suggest on a few of these though is to use portrait format. Just a matter of personal taste, but I think #2 would look cool in vertical, with an arc of a branch on the bottom below the flower.
Thanks Jerry. Never thought of portrait.

I spend a lot of my time when I'm walking scanning the forest floor. You find a lot of neat things that way, but more than a few times I've ended up with a face full of web + spider because of that. Bleh!