Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Fashion model photo shoot in the garage
Posted By: hamidlmt, 04-21-2008, 06:33 PM

Katherine does catalog modeling and has been in numerous print ads. Her sister is a fashion model in Paris. It was a fun afternoon.

All shots with the K10D and FA 50mm 1.4 and DA* 50-135mm 2.8. Lit with various combinations of Photoflex Starlites and wirelessly triggered, gelled hot-shoe flashes.

Trying out clamshell lighting...

Trotting off to change lenses, I turned at the door to the garage and snapped this one... it may be one of my favorite shots ever.

A step back so you can see part of the setup... and, my lovely stack of pellet stove fuel off to the side...

Last edited by hamidlmt; 04-21-2008 at 06:42 PM.
Views: 2,609
04-21-2008, 06:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You found a great model here Hamid. Great shots all around and the lighting is getting better and better each time.

#1 has such great expression you can resist but starring into her eyes.

#2 should have been the best photo of the series but her expression isn't all there. It's a good look, but she seems to be in the middle of a smile and nt fully loving it just yet.

#3 I love the look, the pose and the lighting. Great shot and technically sound all around.

#4 if a super shot and caught at the perfect time. I think it's time to photoshop out the back and pop in a white background and make it look like you meant to do it all along.
04-21-2008, 06:56 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Chris... really appreciate the feedback!

I totally agree about the second shot. It just misses and isn't my favorite. I really just posted it because a couple friends like it.

As for number 4.... oh...er.... I mean, I meant to do that LOL! I'm afraid I don't have the Photoshop chops to remove the background right now. But, I'll keep that in mind for when my skills do improve. I see the shot as a really spiffy outtake.

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
You found a great model here Hamid. Great shots all around and the lighting is getting better and better each time.

#1 has such great expression you can resist but starring into her eyes.

#2 should have been the best photo of the series but her expression isn't all there. It's a good look, but she seems to be in the middle of a smile and nt fully loving it just yet.

#3 I love the look, the pose and the lighting. Great shot and technically sound all around.

#4 if a super shot and caught at the perfect time. I think it's time to photoshop out the back and pop in a white background and make it look like you meant to do it all along.
04-21-2008, 07:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hamidlmt Quote
Chris... really appreciate the feedback!

I totally agree about the second shot. It just misses and isn't my favorite. I really just posted it because a couple friends like it.

As for number 4.... oh...er.... I mean, I meant to do that LOL! I'm afraid I don't have the Photoshop chops to remove the background right now. But, I'll keep that in mind for when my skills do improve. I see the shot as a really spiffy outtake.
Yeah the Photoshop abaility in #4 to do that is of high caliber for sure. The hair would have to done in channels which is a pain and would take some expert blending to make it look right. Even with a degree in it I wouldn't touch it since I don't have hours to do computer work besides basic photo stuff.

Other than that I checked out the full port on your site and there is one that stands out to me even more than these. #7406 is totally spot on in every respect. The look is HAWT HAWT HAWT, I love it.

04-21-2008, 07:15 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Yeah the Photoshop abaility in #4 to do that is of high caliber for sure. The hair would have to done in channels which is a pain and would take some expert blending to make it look right. Even with a degree in it I wouldn't touch it since I don't have hours to do computer work besides basic photo stuff.

Other than that I checked out the full port on your site and there is one that stands out to me even more than these. #7406 is totally spot on in every respect. The look is HAWT HAWT HAWT, I love it.
Yeah... so totally out of my post-processing league! Then again, I adjust levels and that's about it, 95% of the time. I'll try something similar again one day, keeping this first attempt in mind.

Oh, I do like that one too.... here it is... this shot and the first shot above were done with a single Octodome up high with the camera beneath it.

04-21-2008, 07:33 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Very good! Nice captures.
04-22-2008, 03:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Nice shots of a beautiful young lady. I'll never understand why someone so lovely would put a stud through her nose.

04-22-2008, 05:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Lovely shots of an attractive lady. Looks like a nice setup in you garage

Being a woman I feel a need to suggest something (I don't like my pic taken for a reason ). Depending upon the lighting, her skin sometimes looks a little blotchy. There's an amazing tutorial by Christy Schuler on retouching skin that, if you have the inclination, could really make these outstanding.
04-22-2008, 08:55 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mwcfire Quote
Very good! Nice captures.
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Nice shots of a beautiful young lady. I'll never understand why someone so lovely would put a stud through her nose.
Thank you. Truthfully, I don't understand why every lass I know wears ear rings... most folks don't blink twice. Fortunately, we don't have to understand the choices of others. What is beautiful to one may not be to another... and, that's okie dokie by me.

QuoteOriginally posted by KrisK10D Quote
Lovely shots of an attractive lady. Looks like a nice setup in you garage

Being a woman I feel a need to suggest something (I don't like my pic taken for a reason ). Depending upon the lighting, her skin sometimes looks a little blotchy. There's an amazing tutorial by Christy Schuler on retouching skin that, if you have the inclination, could really make these outstanding.
I do like to keep things as natural as possible, but will retouch for big blemishes on close ups. I'll take a look at the link. Thanks!
04-22-2008, 08:56 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
For anyone curious about the lighting specifics