Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Blowing in the Wind
Posted By: hinman, 04-21-2008, 07:28 PM

I am trying to trim down gear. LBA has crept up on me before I realize I have 7 lens not used 5 months after purchase. So I am working on my to-trim list, Pentax M 200mm f/2.8 is one of the candidates

I use ISO 400 in my newly arrived K10D but I find a lot of noise in using JPG. Color are a bit off from the lens in some shots that I took. But the lens is well built with a lens hood and my copy is in great condition. With all the LBA thing going on, I don't know when I can make up my mind what to trim down to have a small list of lens to concentrate on picture taking instead of gear hunting. It is a shame to have many lens not even shooting a picture once.

Last edited by hinman; 04-22-2008 at 01:10 PM.
Views: 1,988
04-22-2008, 08:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Superb shots - nice colours and the counter-light is very well managed! I am not sure if I would let that lens go...
04-22-2008, 08:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I like #1 You get a real feeling of wind and movement

Pat
04-22-2008, 01:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Superb shots - nice colours and the counter-light is very well managed! I am not sure if I would let that lens go...
Thanks for the inputs. It is a painful decision for me as I do have many lens overlapping on focal length. A month back, I counted that I had 7 lens not used after purchase and hence, I am assessing what lens I don't use. But I still wish I can justify every lens in my possession to stay with me. Any suggestions you have are very welcome, I need constructive ideas to keep the lens. I thought about stock photography so as to justify the reason for the lens to stay as a business tool

Hin's Camera Gear - Hin's Tech Corner

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
I like #1 You get a real feeling of wind and movement

Pat
Thanks for the comments.

04-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Very cool stuff, I like #3. Definitely captured the feeling of a brisk day
04-22-2008, 01:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bigben91682 Quote
Very cool stuff, I like #3. Definitely captured the feeling of a brisk day
Thanks, another shot similar to #3, a bigger print to show the noise in iso400.

#7 I like the mix of white & black

In ISO 400 with K10D on JPG on bright mode with +2 on sharpness and everything else default, I see more noise than my K100D with JPG. I wonder if noise is much better controlled in RAW file, comments and suggestions are welcome as I am still struggling to find the dependable setting in K10D.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 04-22-2008 at 01:42 PM.
04-22-2008, 10:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just found out that my K10D model revision (the hardware) version is 1.5 manufactured way back in Dec of 2005. I think that may explain the noise that I saw on iso 400 taken with my K10D. Perhaps later version of hardware manufactured in a later time are better with noise handling. My firmware is already the latest in 1.3

I lack knowledge if noise is more pronounced in JPG shot or if raw file format is less. I have owned K100D for over a year and I have not seen that much noise from JPG shot in ISO 400.

04-23-2008, 05:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Nice shots hinman that lens indeed should be on the keeper list. What kind of software do you use for PP ? There are several 3rd party Noise removers , Noise Ninja getting a lot og good reviews from members here. I think most of them you can download for a free (usually somewhat limited or watermarked) trial.
04-23-2008, 05:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Beautiful shots!

Each one has it's own great characteristic, but they all have one thing in common... great bokeh. Great lens and great images!
04-23-2008, 06:03 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is a nice lens Hin and these pictures are very good without a doubt. As for Jpeg noise at ISO 400, maybe it's just the computer I'm on but I don't really see that much issue. There's a little there but not terrible. What would make me trim this lens from the kit (using this type of image as a guide) is the colour fringing in the bokeh. I see purple and green fringing in some of these shots. Maybe I'm being too picky and this can be controlled in the shooting subject or in software but it takes away from the picture.

If you shot the same stuff in RAW I'd like to see the difference. These older lenses don't have the same coatings as the newer ones and some have a tenancy to colour fringe more than the new glass does.
04-23-2008, 05:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Nice shots hinman that lens indeed should be on the keeper list. What kind of software do you use for PP ? There are several 3rd party Noise removers , Noise Ninja getting a lot og good reviews from members here. I think most of them you can download for a free (usually somewhat limited or watermarked) trial.
Thanks for the kind comments, I use Picasa for simple editing. I am still on JPG, currently looking to evolve into RAW and probably other cheaper editors as in PaintShopPro or Lightroom. Thanks for the tip on NoiseNinja.

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Beautiful shots!

Each one has it's own great characteristic, but they all have one thing in common... great bokeh. Great lens and great images!
It is especially sweet to get a comment from you, I have been your admirer on all of your photos, your work with video and powerpoint presentation. And your work and discussion uplifts the community. Much thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
It is a nice lens Hin and these pictures are very good without a doubt. As for Jpeg noise at ISO 400, maybe it's just the computer I'm on but I don't really see that much issue. There's a little there but not terrible. What would make me trim this lens from the kit (using this type of image as a guide) is the colour fringing in the bokeh. I see purple and green fringing in some of these shots. Maybe I'm being too picky and this can be controlled in the shooting subject or in software but it takes away from the picture.

If you shot the same stuff in RAW I'd like to see the difference. These older lenses don't have the same coatings as the newer ones and some have a tenancy to colour fringe more than the new glass does.

Thanks for the tips and comments. Peter, please find me a side job and I can justify keeping all the lens! I will experiment on RAW and use the basic PPL.