Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Chrome - A Brief Reversion to a Nine-Year-Old
Lens: FA 31/1.8 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Houston, TX 
Posted By: Sailor, 04-14-2014, 02:45 PM

When I saw this mid-50s Buick last week, I immediately saw it as a subject suitable for B&W. To be honest, I know little about cars of this era, but they always bring back memories of when my Dad and I would do the yearly ritual of SHOW DAYS (!!!), those magic days in early fall when the local car dealers would - for the first time - unveil the new models (previously kept scrupulously hidden). We'd usually go in the evening after dinner, and I can remember the bright show-room lights and the blinding chrome, the smell of fresh steel, paint, leather and rubber and the massive (to me) girth of each year's ever more egregious and glittery offerings. It was heaven .

Jer

Views: 665
04-14-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 50's and early 60's were great Jer for styles. It seemed that every year for any given maker was a radical change.--capn zap
04-14-2014, 03:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You'd spend hours just polishing the chrome on this thing.
04-14-2014, 07:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
this really works well in b/w Jer, love that old chrome.

04-14-2014, 09:05 PM   #5

Wait! Where are the port holes? Nice one.
04-15-2014, 04:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I sort of remember these old boats cruising around when I was a kid. Massive chunks of iron and chrome
they had seats almost as large as the sofa in our living room. While today's cars are better in every way you have to admit
These cars had a style all their own - a sort of freedom in styling we won't likely see in today's just in time production
cutter world. B x W seems like the best way to capture the flavour of these cars Jer. A I recall there used to be advertised in B x W.

Tom G
04-15-2014, 04:50 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
The 50's and early 60's were great Jer for styles. It seemed that every year for any given maker was a radical change.--capn zap
Yeah, Capn - in the days of Harley Earl, GM did some "wild and crazy" stuff - and when GM did something, Ford and Chrysler followed. Heady days - like a dream now.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
You'd spend hours just polishing the chrome on this thing.
You would, for sure, EM.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
this really works well in b/w Jer, love that old chrome.
Thanks, buddy - I like the effect here, as well.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Sam Dennis Quote
Wait! Where are the port holes? Nice one.
Thanks, Sam. I think Buick left the holes off this one to make the car more aerodynamic.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
I sort of remember these old boats cruising around when I was a kid. Massive chunks of iron and chrome
they had seats almost as large as the sofa in our living room. While today's cars are better in every way you have to admit
These cars had a style all their own - a sort of freedom in styling we won't likely see in today's just in time production
cutter world. B x W seems like the best way to capture the flavour of these cars Jer. A I recall there used to be advertised in B x W.

Tom G
You got it right, bud - "massive chunks of iron and chrome" is a beautiful description. I'm glad you like the B&W treatment - when I shot these pics, I was thinking of the TV adds in those days, which were all B&W. Many magazine ads also were in B&W in the '50s. Thanks for the cool comments and, of course, for looking, Tom.

Jer

04-15-2014, 08:14 AM   #8
Closed Account

nice photos of a time when cars were beautiful !
04-16-2014, 05:35 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
nice photos of a time when cars were beautiful !
Thank you, Michael. They were certainly flashy!

Jer