Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
4 day Trekking with DA15, 40 and 10-17
Lens: DA15 Camera: K-5IIs Photo Location: Tierra del Fuego, Argentina 
Posted By: carrrlangas, 04-14-2014, 04:00 PM

Location and date:
This past summer (I live in Argentina, below ecuator) I went to my home city to visit family and do some hiking arround the island of Tierra del Fuego. This trekking is called "Paso Beban" which translates to something like "Beban Passage". Thomas Beban was a police officer who was asked to look for potential escape routes of an important Prison located in Ushuaia between 1900 and 1950 approx.

Gear:
I took way too much gear to this hike. I had decided to do it on my own so I could take the time to set up shots or even for the appropiate light. But my cousing wanted to come along and then I thought why not bring the dog? so...
Camera: K-5IIs and P30t film backup
Primes: DA15, 21, 40, 70
Zoom: DA10-17, 16-50, 55-300
Misc: Flash unit, tripod, gels, polarizer, cleaning kit, spare batteries...

Who in their right mind would bring that overlap of focal lengths? a 2Kg tripod to use it 3 times? But the limiteds are so lightweight.. why not? And the DA16-50 is weather sealed, of course...
Take 4Kg of dog food into account, tent, sleeping bag, some clothes, etc, etc... Sums up to 28Kg (15Kg for my cousin, 0Kg for the dog)
I only got to use the DA15 almost exclusively. I couldnīt bring myself to swap lenses or have the weight of the DA16-50 hanging arround.

Enough said:

1. Thereīs a trail at the start. I think itīs used for motorcycle races. Rey (my dog) was too energetic and we had a long way ahead so used the leash for the first part.

2. When the trail ends thereīs a peatbog. We are heading right to the center between the big mountains.

3. After the peatbog thereīs a refuge used by skiers. It was already 18.30 but we decided to keep walking and set up tent in the valley.

4. It did look nice though.

5. I am glad we continued. We got to see this:

6. But light was fading fast, temperature dropping and the floor was too wet so we set the tent over a big rock. Unprotected from wind but with dry floor. After dinner I took this photo:

7. The next day rained a little and they didnīt want to get wet at all. I really like this picture

8. View of the valley we left behind

9. And some interesting rocks. This is a kind of limestone in an interesting stage. there were others with eah layer almost as thin and fragile as paper.

10. Reaching the highest point of the passage (grey mountain on the left)

11. Passage Beban at 850 meters over sea level (started at 30mosl). I was happy, right?

12. Rey didnīt care that much

13. We came from behind Ivana. Thereīs another interesting lagoon to the far right.. For another time

14. Some snow at the top.

15. The way ahead. Final destination is the lake at the foot of the blue mountain in the distance

16. Slopes on the way down before we found a dry place to set the tent and make some fire.

17. Third day was less cloudy and we got to dry some of our clothes and tent before leaving

18. Beavers are an introduced species back in the fifties. They donīt have a natural predator and they are doing a lot of damage...
50 years later the goverment still doesnīt take action and it is really sad.

19. Beaver work

20. Rey making his way through the edge of the dam

21. Nice spot for launch. Whatīs the hurry?*

22. One more dam

23. As if beavers werenīt enough there was a fire 2 years ago. The worst part is that it was started by the govermentīs own natural resources people... Unbelievable

24. Last stage to the lake. The sun got ahead of us. Wish I had gotten here earlier*. You can see the path used by the fire workers on the right

25. Nice lagoon

26. Just a bit late to see the sun..

27. Arrival. Can you see the moon? It was beautiful. I checked moon set in my GPS and set an alarm to wake up before it dissapeared behind the mountain but I was too tired when it sounded.. Shame on me! I just peeked my head out of the tent and stared at it. My cousin couldnīt move.

28. Rey was really tired

29. But he was the first one up

30. So much DA15 photos.. I had to put one with a nice starbust.

Hope you enjoyed the series.
Views: 2,092
04-14-2014, 04:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Great series. Enjoyed them very much. Beautiful scenery. Thanks for sharing.
04-14-2014, 04:15 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fantastic trip in a beautiful area and you documented it very well! I really like the 'moody' 6'th photo a lot.
04-14-2014, 04:40 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Thanks for sharing your trip with us all.

04-14-2014, 05:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

What an epic landscape...a 60-pound pack is a bit beyond my comfort zone for off-trail hiking, but I'm glad you were willing to suffer for your art.
04-14-2014, 06:40 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bravo!
Really like to see this corner of the world sometime. Ushuaia has an interesting and often chequered history
Didn't know Beavers were introduced outside North America!
Like the glaciated landscapes too. Definitely a summer trip, by the look of it.
04-14-2014, 06:48 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Looks like a great trip, it looks like some awesome scenery. Look at all those nice ponds the beavers ae making for you. Great fish habitat. Up here the wolves catch them, we could send you some. But a very large number of beavers die when a tree they're cutting falls on them. They don't really need predators.

04-14-2014, 06:55 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Looks like a great trip, it looks like some awesome scenery. Look at all those nice ponds the beavers ae making for you. Great fish habitat. Up here the wolves catch them, we could send you some. But a very large number of beavers die when a tree they're cutting falls on them. They don't really need predators.
Yup (not my picture).
04-14-2014, 07:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TonyTurley Quote
Great series. Enjoyed them very much. Beautiful scenery. Thanks for sharing.
QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Fantastic trip in a beautiful area and you documented it very well! I really like the 'moody' 6'th photo a lot.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Thanks for sharing your trip with us all.
Thanks for the compliments, glad you enjoyed it and glad to share with this community.

---------- Post added 04-14-14 at 11:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
What an epic landscape...a 60-pound pack is a bit beyond my comfort zone for off-trail hiking, but I'm glad you were willing to suffer for your art.
Definetely too much weight for this trip... Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Bravo!
Really like to see this corner of the world sometime. Ushuaia has an interesting and often chequered history
Didn't know Beavers were introduced outside North America!
Like the glaciated landscapes too. Definitely a summer trip, by the look of it.
Thanks. Yes, Patagonia is really nice... and kind of cheap for you right now. Winter is a total different landscape and much harder...

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
haha, Never seen or heard of a beaver busted by a tree!
04-14-2014, 10:30 PM   #10
Pentaxian

What a trek, nicely done and thanks for sharing your photos, I would love to see it with my own eyes one day.
04-15-2014, 04:57 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow - what a delightful series. Terrific photos - you guys must be a hearty pair.

Jer
04-15-2014, 07:48 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Wow! Extremely beautiful pictures of your trip! Thanks for sharing.
04-15-2014, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #13

Great picture. I love Tierra del Fuego. Reminds me of my trip in 2003 with some friends in a Daihatsu Jeep and a ME Super...

04-15-2014, 11:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxpixie Quote
What a trek, nicely done and thanks for sharing your photos, I would love to see it with my own eyes one day.
You definetely could... Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Wow - what a delightful series. Terrific photos - you guys must be a hearty pair.

Jer
Thnaks Jer, She isnīt used to this kind of demand (lots of weight, lots of walking) but she plays lots of sports so she is fit.

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Wow! Extremely beautiful pictures of your trip! Thanks for sharing.
Thank you for the comment!

QuoteOriginally posted by geedee Quote
Great picture. I love Tierra del Fuego. Reminds me of my trip in 2003 with some friends in a Daihatsu Jeep and a ME Super...
Awesome, Iīd like to see more from that trip
04-15-2014, 01:23 PM   #15
Pentaxian

A beautiful area of that country for sure! TFS, very enjoyable and informative.