Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
Finished
Camera: Canon SX160 IS 
Posted By: 45 Mike, 04-15-2014, 12:07 AM

Late night crappy point n shoot picture, but the frankencam "steampunk" model D Yashica LIVES!!

Copper paint, red accents, with black walnut veneer covers.

Views: 735
04-15-2014, 08:16 AM   #2
Closed Account

Nice.
Reminds me of Vivian Maier. Her Rolleiflex camera looked similar to this one.
04-15-2014, 02:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
Nice.
Reminds me of Vivian Maier. Her Rolleiflex camera looked similar to this one.
Darn, I thought I was being crafty and original.
04-15-2014, 06:27 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I have a Yashicamat 124G. One of the last made. A great camera.

04-15-2014, 07:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I have a Yashicamat 124G. One of the last made. A great camera.
I also have a Mat, a vanilla mat, not a 124. I like it ok, but I prefer my D model, the focus knob on the mat is just weird for me. And I like being able to do multiple exposures. which the Mat models won't do.
Does your light meter work? I use a handheld if sunny 16 does not work out well.
04-15-2014, 08:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 45 Mike Quote
I also have a Mat, a vanilla mat, not a 124. I like it ok, but I prefer my D model, the focus knob on the mat is just weird for me. And I like being able to do multiple exposures. which the Mat models won't do.
Does your light meter work? I use a handheld if sunny 16 does not work out well.
I think the meter probably still works. It worked last time I used the camera about 5 years ago. I bought my Yashicamat brand new, back in the '80's.

I never used it much, as I also have a Mamiya 220 Pro F TLR...with three lenses and I tended to use that a lot more.
I doubt if my Yashicamat has more than 100 shutter actuations on it.
04-15-2014, 10:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I think the meter probably still works. It worked last time I used the camera about 5 years ago. I bought my Yashicamat brand new, back in the '80's.

I never used it much, as I also have a Mamiya 220 Pro F TLR...with three lenses and I tended to use that a lot more.
I doubt if my Yashicamat has more than 100 shutter actuations on it.
ahhh, I bought this D off ebay and the shutterblades were sticking, so I had to take apart the shutter assy to fix it. Cleaned it all up and it works great now. The front leather had to come off and so that is when I decided to recover it, and while I had it down for a recover, I went all in, and did a custom color and cover.

I tried a 6x9 russian folder, but it was unreliable, the Lubitel was just clumsy and I hate the red window. I got a Mat from ebay and it needs work, then got this D, which I like a lot. I also got another Mat that looks like hell, but works perfectly also.

I may redo the working Mat in brass, black and mahogany covers. I would really like an SLR with a lens system in a 120 film, but I am happy with the 80mm on the Yashica, it forces me to consider how to make a shot work, rather than just standing and fiddling with a zoom, or changing a lens.

I like developing the B/W in Caffenol-C and I am really enjoying the Unicolor kit for the C-41 film. opens up a new window to my MX days with the 50mm.

04-16-2014, 08:01 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 45 Mike Quote
ahhh, I bought this D off ebay and the shutterblades were sticking, so I had to take apart the shutter assy to fix it. Cleaned it all up and it works great now. The front leather had to come off and so that is when I decided to recover it, and while I had it down for a recover, I went all in, and did a custom color and cover.

I tried a 6x9 russian folder, but it was unreliable, the Lubitel was just clumsy and I hate the red window. I got a Mat from ebay and it needs work, then got this D, which I like a lot. I also got another Mat that looks like hell, but works perfectly also.

I may redo the working Mat in brass, black and mahogany covers. I would really like an SLR with a lens system in a 120 film, but I am happy with the 80mm on the Yashica, it forces me to consider how to make a shot work, rather than just standing and fiddling with a zoom, or changing a lens.

I like developing the B/W in Caffenol-C and I am really enjoying the Unicolor kit for the C-41 film. opens up a new window to my MX days with the 50mm.
I always liked the Yashicamat. Generally reliable and capable of some very good pictures...also a great deal for a medium format.

I too wanted a SLR medium format. I rented a Pentax 6 X 7 (with a 90 mm F 2.8 Leaf shutter Pentax lens) and it was a great deal of fun. Had the rosewood handle...beautiful piece of equipment. But couldn't afford a new one...so got the Mamiya 220 Pro f...which is an excellent and a real working camera.