Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A Roll of Film at 24mm
Lens: SMC 24/2.8 Camera: MX Photo Location: Seattle, WA ISO: 400 
Posted By: troika, 04-15-2014, 08:30 PM

I got the urge to shoot a roll of film last weekend with my SMC 24/2.8. Wow, it's wide on film! Love the colors and the luster. Some interesting edges and corners activity that I haven't seen on digital.

Advice, criticism, encouragement, justified belittlement of my capabilities, name calling and offers of future commissioned works are all welcome and appreciated.

#9 (Wish the sun had been on her face. I didn't have a flash on the camera)

#10 (Didn't quite come out as intended, but it's a moment captured)

#11 Gotta go, it's the cops!

Views: 687
04-15-2014, 08:51 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice photos. A reason to keep a Pentax 35 mm SLR camera body around is to keep getting the last degree of coverage (#4) and the deepest depth of field possible (#7 ["From here to infinity!" - Buzz Lightyear]) out of wide-angle lenses like that one. If you feel gutsy, try street photography using the hyper focal method. Enjoy!
04-15-2014, 08:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm not sure if your lens is decentered, but there's definitely something wrong with the super soft corners. Unless it's the scanner... but it doesn't look right to me.
04-15-2014, 09:11 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
I'm not sure if your lens is decentered, but there's definitely something wrong with the super soft corners. Unless it's the scanner... but it doesn't look right to me.
Yeah, some of that surprised me too. I've not shot a whole roll with this lens on film before and I've not noticed it on digital. I'll shoot a bunch of digital with it soon and see if I can reproduce it. I have the negatives, but I don't know if I could see it on a light table or not.

04-15-2014, 09:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If you have 8x or higher magnifier glass, you will be able to see it on a light table.
04-16-2014, 02:53 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Wow, it's wide on film!
Great images and that's why so many folk here want FF (me incuded), imagine a 20mm and 15mm too.
04-16-2014, 04:31 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lovely shots, beautiful colors. I have an MX should use it more.
04-16-2014, 10:17 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
I went by the lab that processed the film for me this morning and they ruled the scanner out as the cause. He opined that it was either the lens or the mount on the camera. I had the MX serviced this year and I have them check the mount, but I suspect that it's not the cause. I've not noticed on dSLR any issue with that lens, but the effect is likely out of the image circle.

I'll look closely at a roll that I took with that camera using a 50/1.4 and a 100/4 and see if I can see anything similar, which would suggest the camera, but of the photos from that roll that I uploaded to Flickr, I don't see anything like this.

I'll shoot a bunch of specific test shots with the lens on digital and see if I can reproduce any of this effect.

So, the lens is the likely suspect. Any idea what would cause that and how to correct it? There is a lot about these photos that I like; color, perspective, so it would be good to get control of.

Last edited by troika; 04-16-2014 at 10:35 AM.
04-16-2014, 11:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have exactly the same lens and it indeed has the tendency to produce little bit soft corners ( especially with apertures below 5.6 ) but your photos are definitely showing some issues with the lens. I think one of the elements got out ouf place somehow by tiny fraction of a millimetre - perhaps it has suffered a knock or two ? I would try to shake the lens and see if there isn't an element loose inside - perhaps all it needs is a bit tightening ?

And I agree with your impressions on this lens - a definite keeper in my books. I came across it in mint condition and will not be parting with it even though I do have another 24mm , Sigma - which is also a good lens and has its strengths.
--manntax