Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Music Quiz!
Lens: DA 35mm Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Denver, Colorado USA ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: rbefly, 04-18-2014, 03:54 AM

Hello music fans! Here's a quick quiz for you, five sets of street musicians, playing five distinctly different kinds of music. OK?
Which one is playing Bluegrass?
New Orleans Jazz and Dixieland?
Children's music?
Accoustic Country and Light Rock?
Rockabilly and Oldies?
Now, I threw a few curves in; One band is missing the drummer, one is playing a toy instrument, another is missing two musicians. It still shouldn't fool anyone, just look and listen!
Ron

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 901
04-18-2014, 05:05 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great shots, Ron - I didn't know Denver had so many street musicians. I don't know which is which - I'm not very smart (as forum members know) and it's too early in the morning for me to untangle Gordian knots.

Again, great pics, buddy.

Jer
04-18-2014, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A fine series there Ron.I'm going to think about the answer to your query.--charliezap
04-18-2014, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

First is Dixieland, second is bluegrass, third is rockabilly, fourth is not a band, so lastly must be light rock or country or I am completely wrong.

04-19-2014, 04:06 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
We Have A Winner!

Thanks to Jer and Charlie for the kind comments, live music is one of my favorite subjects for photography!
Gmans, you got it! The Dixieland band was on their way back to New Orleans and stopped for a bit In Denver. They didn't have any gigs here, but said they had run out of gas money! They also have a drummer and accordion player, not shown in this particular set.
The bluegrass band also has a fiddle player, but he wasn't there today. The dog goes to all their gigs.
The Rockabilly group played at a classic car show I went to last week.
The young man with the mini-guitar was actually getting some real music out of it, when a lady with baby stroller stopped to listen. The baby seems to be enjoying it!
The last trio isn't really a band, the player on the right normally plays solo on the Mall. The guy in the middle brought a wooden box to use as a drum, and another guitar player stopped and played for a while. In addition to acoustic rock, they did a few blues tunes also.
Thanks for looking!
Ron
04-19-2014, 04:33 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Awesome set! Very enjoyable quiz.
04-19-2014, 06:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

What I won wow, first thing i have won since i was a Boy. Thank you Rbefly, it is great when you find good music spontaneously, this is how interpreted you great phonos, well done and cheers.

04-19-2014, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
The young man with the mini-guitar was actually getting some real music out of it,
That 'mini-guitar' is actually a real instrument in it's own right and is known as a ukelele. The uke originated in Hawaii in the 19th century and it's becoming very popular again (it was big in the 50's and 60's) especially among teenagers for some reason.
04-19-2014, 07:39 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks, All!

@Tess, thanks for the kind words, I do love my street photography!
@gmans, well, you're on a winning streak now! Maybe time to buy a lottery ticket? Thanks for playing the music quiz.
@Larry, thanks for pointing out the proper name for that instrument. I thought it might be a uke, but wasn't sure enough to post it. He actually could play pretty well, and the baby seemed entertained, too. I didn't know it was becoming popular lately, haven't seen one in years.
Thanks again to all!
Ron
04-19-2014, 12:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
@Larry, thanks for pointing out the proper name for that instrument. I thought it might be a uke, but wasn't sure enough to post it. He actually could play pretty well, and the baby seemed entertained, too. I didn't know it was becoming popular lately, haven't seen one in years.
I've been a bass guitar player for 25+ years and have been trying to teach myself to play 6-string guitars (acoustic and electric) for a couple of years now. One of my favorite guitar lesson websites has recently started a whole section on uke playing for beginners.

UK-000 ? Ukulele Lesson Index Page | free ukulele lesson from justinguitar.com